Lining paper in kitchens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kitchen walls are down to old bare plaster which has lots of holes and dents in them. Don't want to reskim so was wondering if it's ok to line kitchen walls and then paint with a matt or soft sheen. Please advise if I'm going wrong.

Sponsored Links
yes u can line wall and paint , just make shure well rubbed down and fill the best u can before linnin as paper will not hide all defects

As gus - plus..........after rubbing down, filling etc it's important to dust the walls down, apply glue size then use a decent grade lining 1200 upwards, don't leave gaps, don't overlap it...just "butt join" it then use a decent emulsion.
Done one this week with 1200...always used to use 800 grade but I now think the thicker the better when painting after.

Sponsored Links
You will still have to do your filling and prep, you say your walls have loads of holes and dents in them.
As good as L/P is, it cant perform miracles, and even the 1400 which I use will not hide everything.
I still have to fill, as I know what will show through, I line at least every other job, so I have got used to how much prep I have to do.
It wont hid lumps and bumbs, and if you are going to paint, I would think about Matt,as soft sheen or silk is not kind to rough walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back