Lining paper on ceiling. Best approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a small narrow hallway with recessed lights.

I am a complete novice regarding wallpapering and wondered what the best approach was to deal with the recessed lighting as we want to use lining paper over the ceiling.

Would you go straight down the length in one long strip or across width ways with numerous strips.

I'm going to try and tackle this myself and if I completely mess up get the professionals in.

20210507_191714.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you've not done it before it may be best to do short lengths. You can get double rolls of 2000g lining paper from toolstation for under £6.
You'd need to pop down the lights and do star cuts around the holes pushing the light fittings through as you go.
If you want to attempt length ways you'll need planks etc.
When doing a ceiling you fold the paper differently to when you do down a wall. You have to do concertina folds and unravel the paper as you go!

If you've not done it before it may be best to do short lengths. You can get double rolls of 2000g lining paper from toolstation for under £6.
You'd need to pop down the lights and do star cuts around the holes pushing the light fittings through as you go.
If you want to attempt length ways you'll need planks etc.
When doing a ceiling you fold the paper differently to when you do down a wall. You have to do concertina folds and unravel the paper as you go!

Thank you. I have planks the builders left here, so I can use them. I appreciate the advice, most helpful.

Sponsored Links
It does depend on the natural light and width of hallway , short lengths tend to show the joins , length ways depending on width of hallway long length middle of hall and two pieces either side then the joints are not noticible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back