Lining Paper Prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon starting to paint my living room but previous owners put lining paper on walls and an overlap can be seen.Can I simply sand the overlap down before I repaint the walls?

Sponsored Links
You can sand them back but you will need a sander connected to a dust extractor otherwise the paint might overheat and the paper rip.

There is also a possibility that where the paper curled slightly to overlap there will be 0.5mm or so of glue missing. This will only be obvious when you paint the paper and see it lifting (very slightly).

Are you sure that it is lining paper and not normal wall paper, even diyers tend not to overlap paper.

If the paint build up is very thick it is often faster to cut either side of the overlap and fill the gap. in such cases the filler will be smoother than the surround areas so you can stipple the emulsion to build up the texture

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back