Lining Paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to wall-paper my bedroom this Bank Holiday weekend - have already stripped all the old paper off (bye bye purple walls & silver swirls!) - the walls are not too bad but have been told by a mate that if I want a good finish I should cover the walls in lining paper before wall papering.
Q1 - Can I get away without the lining paper?
Q2 - If I do go for lining paper do I really need to apply it horizontally?

Thanks in advance for all constructive comments.

Sponsored Links
Q1 hard to say without seeing it. Personaly I always line when papering. It does give a sound base and looks better for it.
Q2 In a word no. Used to be the case when lining paper and wallpaper were the same size. They arn't anymore. The main reason was so the seams did not fall on top of each other. They wont if you hang it vertically cos they are diff sizes. ;)

Ditto DSD,

If your walls are well prepared you could get away without L/P, but L/P will sort out any minor imperfections and give you a really good base to work on, if its a very light finish paper or has a slight sheen to it, any irregularities will show through. Be careful with your joins, its better to have a slight gap than to overlap as this will show through.

Lining paper comes in 22" and finish paper at 21", I use 1400 grade a standard and sometimes go up to 1700 but this is quite heavy, you probably want 1200

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back