Lining walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( I want to get a smooth finish on my walls. Have removed paper and was wondering of it is possible to first line walls horizontally and then vertically, then paint?

Sponsored Links
I lined my wall with 1000 grade lining paper and hung it like normal wall paper.The good thing about thick lining paper is it hides alot of lumps and bumps.All I did next was paint it.Cheap and simple and saves getting the walls skimmed.

I've used just lining paper before and they have been very smooth but this time the walls are a little more worse for wear, which is why I thought of doing them twice. I filled the joins with caulk (is this how you spell it?) using an old credit card!! Then painted over, great finish but probably not what you should do!!

Sponsored Links
bennettp23 said:
what about the joins? Are they visible?

Depends on how good you are at wall papering!!!

If done well, hardly visable. Also after each coat of emulsion any remaining lines gradualy dissapear.

My final tip, sandpaper the entire wall/s before papering. Removes all those annoying little pimples.

Most of my Dads decorating jobs these days involve replacing textured wallpaper with lining paper, people are defo going back to plain 'painted wall' effect including in my own house.

He uses 1200 gauge paper (it's like cardboard!!!) bought from a proper decorators/paint shop (DIY stores are likely to only stock upto 1000 gauge) but even the thickest papers will not hide bad walls. Preparing the wall before papering is the key job.

Once papered, he gives the joints a quick slap of white emulsion, when dry he runs some filla down any gaps and when this is dry he lightly sands off any excess. Don't sand without having first emulsioned the joint or you will take off some of the paper. A couple of coats of emulsion and a perfect finish. Cannot see the joins.

He also favours lining horizontally (I dont mean lying down) because it create less joints.

Good luck.

Pal

Pal said:
He also favours lining horizontally (I dont mean lying down) because it create less joints.

Good luck.

Pal

I suppose, if in the future the customer wants to paper over the lining paper, it will alleviate any probs.

One other thing, lined paper is so much more tactile than just plastered and painted, warmer to the touch etc.

Lurve lining paper... :D

Just found the Dulux Paint shop in North Watford has started stocking 1400 gauge.

I'm off to buy a few rolls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back