Linseed Oil for Fence? Boiled or Raw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is [WAS -mod] a old post, I came across it while looking at boiled linseed mix finishes for old items restoration.

I am going to tell you what has worked for over 8 years on my waney lap wood fencing, in wet and sunny Northwest UK weather..

You are going to use Oil, but in your area or Country, there maybe laws and rules, about how Oils and Fats are used, disposed of!. It is your responsibility to read, understand and comprehend, those laws. Not me!

Right that said, you use your old cooking oil ( its been heated, as it not ? ). You apply it when the oil is cool, and the wood will allow the oil to soak in. In warm or hot days the wood will smell like used cooking Oil, but eventually weather, fades the smell.

Boiling, Cooking Oils or Fats can produce cancer causing chemicals etc ! ( Yet, you still eat the food, go figure? ). So take health and safety precautions your health, and the region you live in, laws require.

But you ask " I need a large bulk amount, to paint my fence ). Ask around fast food cooking outlets, if you can have their used Oil. Fats and Oil are fine, just strain out food etc particles. ( YOU! Check if you are allergic to anything you use, as you are there! Not me. )

Test a small area of Fence first to see if its the finish you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back