Linseed Oil - getting rid of the smell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know absolutley nothing about woodwork so am hoping someone out there can help.

I have been given a handmade breadbin as a gift and it's great BUT it really really smells of linseed oil, so much so that I can't use it because the bread inside tastes of linseed oil!

I have tried wiping with washing up liquid (several times), wiped it over with bleach and even left it outside in garden for the day but it still smells too much to use.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Linseed oil is edible so there isn't a health risk.

The reason you can smell it is because the oil is evaporating so you could leave it in the sun to quicken the process. Or leave it in the airing cupboard but then eveything else would pick up the smell. I guess a VERY VERY LOW oven might do the trick, but not too warm otherwise the oil and wood will cook - not nice.

Alternatively you could try oiling it with olive oil. It might bind the linseed oil in a bit and make it smell less, certainly won't increase the smell.

Min said:
Linseed oil is edible so there isn't a health risk.

That's great news, I've run out of sunflower oil to cook my breakfast but I've got a big can of linseed in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Petewood - I presume your reply is sarcastic and aimed at my somewhat loose reply. I also presume if you have a large can of it and that you work with wood, the linseed oil is already boiled, rather than raw which is fed to cattle.

For anyone else - please note linseed oil is not suitable for frying with as the heat denatures it. Raw linseed oil is highly beneficial - as Chappers points out.

Min said:
For anyone else - please note linseed oil is not suitable for frying with as the heat denatures it. Raw linseed oil is highly beneficial - as Chappers points out.

Now you tell me, the bacon stuck to the pan and the eggs tasted awful! I found a can of 'Danish Oil' at the back of the shelf. Is that any good?

try putting a bowl of salt or rice in the breadbin for a while to soak up the vapours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back