Lintel above a bifold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a 4m bifold into a blockwork constructed single storey extension out of the back. Above it is a pitched roof, with velux and inside the ceiling is vaulted so no horizontal trusses.

I've been advised by the SE to use a RHS with plate, but I was wondering if anyone had used a Catnic or IG lintel in place? Its a Smart Visofold bifold that i'll be installing, and there is a deflection limit for the doors to operate smoothly. A heavy duty or greater one seems like it would be ideal if it will take the load, for cold bridging and weatherproofing. The SE seems reluctant to specify one though.

Sponsored Links
RHS might be expensive and not easy to fix curtain rails etc.
Cheaper than Catnic would be a 152 x 152 x 30 (plus 250 x 8 plate tack-welded underneath if carrying any blockwork on the outer skin)
If only supporting a vaulted roof, no need for padstones if with min 200mm bearing each end.

Thanks Tony, I was told that the RHS would be easier to conceal, birdmouthed into the truss. I was just going to paint it with bitumastic paint however there's an option to have it galvanised for a few hundred quid. Are Catnics CX lintels not suitable for this kind of application?

The Catnic CX range would be fine, but probably a little expensive?
I doubt the RHS would be any easier than a 'I' or 'H' section beam - the birdsmouth would be done over a timber wall plate which would need to be fixed to the top of the beam, so i don't see what difference it makes.
If you use a steel beam (rather than a Catnic) no need to galavanise, but you need to protect with a dpc/cavity tray.
Catnic doesn't require a dpc as the integral coating does that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back