Lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had my attached garage converted to habitable rooms, so the double skinned external wall between garage and lounge is now an internal wall.

I have been considering sinking a large screen TV into the wall so that the front of the screen is flush with the wall. To do this I would remove the inner breeze block skin.

The TV measures approx 1200 mm by 700 mm, so I would remove an area slightly bigger than this.

My question is, what type of lintel would I require to bridge the cutout? I realise that 150mm is required each side. The lintel will only need to bridge a single skin. The house is a bungalow, and Above the lintel will be approx 2m breeze block. I think the roof is fully supported on the external brick skin therefore no roof load on the inner skin.

Sponsored Links
If there are no unusual loads then a regular 100mm x 60mm pcc fella should do it.

Thanks nose all.

A further question.

When the builders knocked through the doorway between lounge and garage they didn't support the wall above as they said it wasn't necessary. The opening was a standard single door width.

As my cutout will be 1500 mm would it be necessary to prop the wall above?

Sponsored Links
I think you will find that the wall plate carrying the roof is on the inner skin of the cavity wall. In saying that, it makes little difference to the minimal loading and the lintel mentioned in the previous reply will be OK. As far as support is concerned, unless the blocks are stuck together with lime mortar (or crap cement mortar) they will carry fine until the lintel is in. At worst, only a couple of blocks will slip and they will lock together. The corbelling effect means that the lintel only supports a triangle of block work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back