Lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 bed Victorian terrace, with the floor plan below

IMG_9579.jpeg

I had an arched doorway going from the dining room into the kitchen. I started to remove this to square it back off, and found a wooden lintel that’s barely resting on anything

IMG_9570.jpeg

IMG_9566.jpeg

I’m thinking of now opening this up further like this

IMG_9571.jpeg

My question is, would a 100mm x 65mm concrete lintel suffice? It would be 1800mm in length and have 200mm extended beyond the opening either side.

Something along the lines of this? - https://www.diy.com/departments/expamet-concrete-lintel-l-1800mm-w-100mm/150792_BQ.prd

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a 2 bed Victorian terrace, with the floor plan below

View attachment 305229

I had an arched doorway going from the dining room into the kitchen. I started to remove this to square it back off, and found a wooden lintel that’s barely resting on anything

View attachment 305230

View attachment 305231

I’m thinking of now opening this up further like this

View attachment 305232

My question is, would a 100mm x 65mm concrete lintel suffice? It would be 1800mm in length and have 200mm extended beyond the opening either side.

Something along the lines of this? - https://www.diy.com/departments/expamet-concrete-lintel-l-1800mm-w-100mm/150792_BQ.prd
There doesn't appear to be much 'meat' left on the remaining pier up to the window jamb, in your proposals. Looks like it would be suspiciously slender, particularly as it would be carrying three lintels. If say the masonry from kitchen were tied in or rebuilt properly as a return pier, you may get away with it.

There doesn't appear to be much 'meat' left on the remaining pier up to the window jamb, in your proposals. Looks like it would be suspiciously slender, particularly as it would be carrying three lintels. If say the masonry from kitchen were tied in or rebuilt properly as a return pier, you may get away with it.
Thanks noseall, it would leave 380mm, would that suffice? I assume it is built into the kitchen brickwork where it returns, as it is externally, but I’m not 100%.

Attachments

• IMG_9587.jpeg
    IMG_9587.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 42
If I was to just repair the brickwork and keep the original sized opening. Should I replace the lintel with a 100x65 concrete lintel or just leave the timber one in?

Sponsored Links
I would replace the lintel with a concrete lintel. You've gone to the effort of exposing it, so you may as well replace it properly.

Would a 100x65 concrete suffice or should I be putting in a 150x100?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back