Lintel Bearing Width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a bathroom window on the first floor of a gable-end wall (non-loadbearing). Window is 1.200m * 0.9m.

I want to install a second window in the bathroom. So I pared back the plaster around the current window to see how far the lintel bearing extended.

The lintel supports about 5ft of brick and block work.
This a 20 year old house. Bought from new from a reputable local builder. No apparent problems - no cracking around window frame

The current lintel seems to be mounted on bearings of about 15mm. I'm guessing the equivalent of a 1.25metre Catnic 5/100 is installed.

Should I be concerned? If I should, what remedies might I have.

Sponsored Links
15mm seems awfully lean. are you sure its only 15mm?
by the way does this new window face the neighbours?

Yes, it's 15mm.
Drilled a small masonory bit @ 150mm then 100mm without hitting anything. so thought I'd pare back the plaster over the lip of the lintel till I found where it ended.

Yes the new window faces the gable end of the neighbours wall, so I'm prepared to submit building notice to the local council.

how close is the neighbours wall to yours?
15mm?. how far in did you drill? you may only hit metal if you drill deeper than 125mm.

Sponsored Links
Any type of lintol should have a minimum bearing of 100mm at both ends.
Are you really sure its only 15mm?
This contravenes building regs and I cant see any reputable builder taking a chance on this , there would be no benefit to him.

is there something about the profile of lintels I'm missing here?
there's a lip that support bricks and a lip that supports block and channel between the two.

thats correct. the chanel will be two courses deep ( 150mm). on lintels above 2100mm wide the chanel will generaly be 3 courses deep, or 225mm.
you will need to drill through the plaster depth plus masonry in order to strike the lintel steel. usually 125mm plus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back