Lintel choice for attic window in gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to install a window in the gable end wall of our attic see below:

lintel.jpg

It only single leaf brick work at this level.

Which lintel type should I go for steel or concrete?

Would one of these cut to size do the job:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Lintels-Internal/Internal-Lintel/invt/220067

or should I go for this:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1226859265608&isSearch=true

I'm slightly concerned that the concrete lintel will be visible from the outside. Also how should I go about removing mortar/brickwork in preparation for the lintel whilst reducing the vibration to the wall as I don't want it to collapse!

Thanks,

yoocan

Sponsored Links
i take it that the window head is high enough so that no purlin bearings are likely to affect it?

if so i would have thought an angle lintel will be sufficient.

a concrete p.c.c. lintel will also be adequate but ugly.

the first example will no be suitable.

Hello, first time using this site so accept my apologies for butting in on this topic. Noseall - you mention the purlin loads, I definitely have the purlin loads and I'm trying to cut through a single door. I think I require Wind posts, but all the wind post companies I've contacted don't seen to know what to do in this situation. Have you any pointers as to suppliers or calculations etc so I can design and manufacture them ? Thanks, regards, Paul

Sponsored Links
this is an old house circa 1920. The project is an attic conversion, the aperture is for a doorway / Juliet balcony as an escape route. The wall is a solid brick construction 230mm thick (2x 115mm brick side by side) Rendered on the outside. I was thinking along the lines of RSJ top and bottom and side wind posts bolted to them, but I can't find any technical details. Thanks.

as a conversion. have you a ridge beam in place... ie a steel... not enough information..

Hi, the timber at the ridge you could hardly call a ridge beam the section is 175mm x 40mm. The main load bearers are 4 purlins 2 of which are going to transmit on the door sides. I've uploaded a drawing. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back