Lintel Move Possible???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if I could get some advice regarding a lintel that has been bugging me since I moved in

In my last house I had an extension put on the front of the kitchen and when I asked how we could disguise the original lintel for the then removed window the builder suggested that we remove it completely and change it to steel RSJ that he 'hid' up higher between the kitchen ceiling and first floor floorboards.
I have now moved and instead of needing an extension this house has actually already got a flat roof extension on the back of the kitchen and I would like to knock through from the kitchen to this room.

Basically the wall I want to knock through is approx 5m long made up of a 500mm pillar + 2500mm window + 500mm pillar + 750mm door + 1250mm pillar. I want if possible to knock through where the window is and move the lintel up into ceiling void.

The lintel hangs down 15" on the kitchen side from the ceiling on 10" down on the extension side

My first query is that if as I wish the lintel is moved up 15" on the kitchen side then how will this be possible on the flat roof side. I'm guessing I know the answer to this!

My second query is could it be moved up perhaps 10" to lose it in the ceiling of the extension and then could I have the ceiling lowered in the kitchen by 5" ?

The other question is that on the last house the extension was part of planning permission so as part of the drawing work done the architect also done load drawings and worked out the steels needed so that it complied with Building Regs. Can I ask who would do this for me this time and im guessing this would also need planning permssion??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Anything is possible if you have deep pockets..

Would be simplest to move the lintel up by 10" to the extension level (you will only know if this is possible once you open up some of the ceiling on both sides.. best get a structural engineer involved to look at what you open up and do some calcs/sketches for your builder..

Chances are you will only need a building notice for the works, either you or yours builder can get this sorted. Its more a form filling exercise..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back