Lintel Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondered if I could get some advice regarding a lintel.

In my last house I had an extension put on the front of the kitchen and when I asked how we could disguise the original lintel for the then removed window the builder suggested that we remove it completely and change it to steel RSJ that he 'hid' up higher between the kitchen ceiling and first floor floorboards.
I have now moved and instead of needing an extension this house has actually already got a flat roof extension on the back of the kitchen which I would like to knock through from the kitchen to this room.

The original builder has taken a look and is saying its possible but doesn't seem keen on doing it. Is this type of work tricky or should I offer it to other general builders to see if they can quote for it.

The other question is that on the last house the extension was part of planning permission so as part of the drawing work done the architect als done load drawings and worked out the steels needed so that it complied with Building Regs. Can I ask who would do this for me this time and im guessing this would also need planning permssion??

Thanks in advance

Darren

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the knock-through location it is difficult to comment on the severity of the situation.

The thing to think about on any knock through is how to support the existing masonry whilst work is carried out, how much stress it is going to have on the remaining structure and of course how to deal with that stress.

A structural engineer will advise.

Secondly, unless the structure is up to thermal spec, you will find yourself having to upgrade the roof, floor and walls.

The work you intend doing falls under building regulations therefore you must submit an application.

Nowt to do with planning unless you intend changing from a flat roof to pitched. It is likely that the flat roof will not have adequate insulation so removal (of the deck at least) may be imminent.

Knocking through is generally a doddle for any competent builder if yours is in any doubt, then dump him. Every job has it's own quirks and some are more difficult than others. You should (if your inclined to ) consult your local building control. This would cost but cover you.

Yeah, he seems happy enough to come and do the work and knock through etc, but has said that it would be cheaper to leave lintel in. This I knew and hadn't even mentioned doing it cheaply so I took it meant he wasn't keen taking it out.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that the existing opening to the extension is a door then?
Is this correct, & what height/width is the existing lintol, also what is the height then to the ceiling?
Dependent on how & where your joists above sit or how the extension roof is built it is difficult to give an accurate idea of whether any proposed steel may be concealable.

The wall I want to pretty much remove is approx 5m long consisted of a window of about 2.5m, a doorway and then the pillars. Ceiling hieight from the bottom of the lintel is 15" on kitchen side and 10" on extension side which is the bit with the flat roof.
As for supporting the structure of the house, the builder who done it last time did it with a row of acrows just back from the lintel and a timber to spread the load over the the floor joist above. Would this be your suggestion?

Darren

Do your joists above sit on the wall you want to remove? If so then thats how to prop the wall, as you said with acrows & a scaffold board or similar, then needles through the external brickwork & away you go. This would mean that any steel would naturally sit under the joists. It is possible to hide the steel but that requires a fair bit of fiddling & I wouldn't recommend it. The 5" variation might cause a problem though, it is difficult to be specific without actually being there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back