Lintel needed above replacement window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,new to forum. Just enquiring about ew window installation.
Have an old rotten wooden window frame in garage which does not seem to have any sort of lintol in. I am having it replaced with a upvc
Type. There is one course of bricks above the
old wooden frame. What if any type of lintol do I need . It looks like the course of bricks will require removing prior to removal of window or they will collapse.
Thanks in advance for any help , or tips given. Paul.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply Stuart, are the concrete ones dimensions similar to bricks, also would need one approx 80 inches in width. Is that size available.?

Sponsored Links
It would help to know what is above the frame and whether the roof sits on it, and context of garage walls around it.

There are several options including doing away with the bricks, but it depends what you want it to look like

Hello there, sorry about late reply. There was one course of bricks resting on top of wooden frame. On a bed of cement. I have removed these for upvc window installation as they would have fallen anyway. I was just wondering what to replace bricks with.
There was no weight bearing on them as garage roof is separate from this.

There was no weight bearing on them as garage roof is separate from this.
What does that mean?

Anyhoo, if there are no joists bearing down then there isn't actually any need to put the bricks back, unless you would prefer to see them instead of say a timber/plastic decor infill.

Thanks a lot for help. Decided to put concrete lintol across. 20 quid from t.perkins.same dimensions as brick except one long piece. Just mainly to seal gap up.

Cheers Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back