Lintel needed for 46cm wide shower box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're having a new bathroom installed including a recessed soap/shampoo box which has been cut into the first skin of an existing inner block wall. It is 46cm wide.

The bathroom fitters have said it doesn't need a lintel but I would definitely be grateful for a second opinion not least because they have been wrong about other things and to my eyes it looks like it is bowing a bit already.

So should I insist a lintel is fitted and is it a difficult job for them to do so? Many thanks in advance.

This bathroom is on the top floor below the loft.

Sponsored Links
Oh, perhaps I should have been clearer that this is in an external cavity wall with the box cutting into the first skin of the wall.

The walls are now mostly covered in plaster but the blocks at the top of the box are exposed which tells me that they are at least 29cm long (but could be longer I don't know) and are about 11cm deep.

They are grey and I think original in a 1970s build house.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back