Lintel pushing plasterboard out at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lintels ive used seem to be slightly wider than the blocks which is normal from past experience. However im trying to fit plasterboard using dot n dab adhesive to either side of a block wall and the lintel is pushing it out at the top. Ive removed some of the plasterboard sheet to get round this problem but now im unsure about how to go about finishing this job? Just use filler to bring it out at the top?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20170423-05043.jpg
    IMG-20170423-05043.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG-20170423-05045.jpg
    IMG-20170423-05045.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
nuzuki, good evening.

Many years ago, an Architect that was at that time really switched on told me if you screw something up? make a feature of it???

How about you consider fixing the main wall Plasterboard as normal right up to the protruding lintels, then fix a further layer of plasterboard on to the lintel ? in effect plating out the lintel proud of the overall wall surface? BUT? it may appear better if you extend the lintel plating over the full length of the affected walls. OR?? make a feature of the plating around the entire room??

Now, if you use two [or more] thicknesses of plasterboard as plating [to the protruding Lintels] you could consider fixing timber shaped beading on the underside of the plating at its junction with the main wall. and again at the junction of Plating and ceiling??

In effect a feature, a Homage to bygone Fibrous plaster cornicing?

Just a consideration?

Ken

Thanks for your reply. Ive not heard these terms before (im just a DIY builder not in the trade). Im guessing from a google the scrim tape is the same stuff you use to joint plasterboard together. Im unsure what browning is... like a patching plaster maybe?

I was thinking of attaching some mesh using no more nails then filling the crap out of it which im guessing is pretty similar to what you suggested.

I'll do the ceiling first then come back to that job later so I know how much to bring it out by.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken,
Sorry only just seen your reply. I was thinking of making a lintel fascia out of some wood and staining/varnishing it to make a nice feature as you say. Ive got another room to do which I think may also have this problem so I shall look around my scrap wood pile and see if I can make something good out of something bad. I was also thinking some coving or skirting board/architrave running around the top of the room might hide it. As the plasterboard is 9.5mm I may use some 5.5mm ply stuck on with no more nails to bring it out flush. Sometimes that gravel board sanded and stained can have a nice driftwood effect so I could go that way if wanting to make a feature out of it.

Anyhow thanks for your replies. I'll update when I decide what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back