Liquid Concentrates

S

swidders

Have spent all night looking back at previous posts - may have missed this so apologies for repetition.
If you already know the answer, please tell me before you read any further. ;)

2 beakers of liquid - one water, one wine.
A teaspoon of water is taken from the water beaker and stirred into wine.
Then, a teaspoon of the diluted wine mixture and stirred into the water.

Which one has been diluted down more from its initial pure state? More to the point - why?

Sponsored Links
The wine. Because it's impossible to "dilute water down" when you're adding another liquid to it, even water.

I'm not convinced you're taking the puzzle with the gravity it deserves :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The actual answer is that both solutions have been unconcentrated by the same amount. I.e. there is the same amount of water in the wine as there is wine in the water.

I have never come to terms with this and was hoping for others' insight as to why this is the case.

beaker A is filled with water
beaker B is filled with wine

they both contain 90ml and a teaspoon is 10ml

take 10mls of water and put it in the wine to make a mixture of 100mls, 10% of which is water

take a 10ml from the mixture, 10%/1ml of which is water, and put it in beaker A

both beakers now contain 9ml of the other

beaker A is filled with water
beaker B is filled with wine

they both contain 90ml and a teaspoon is 10ml

take 10mls of water and put it in the wine to make a mixture of 100mls, 10% of which is water

take a 10ml from the mixture, 10%/1ml of which is water, and put it in beaker A

both beakers now contain 9ml of the other

For years I've tried to understand that, and now i do.
Thanks

I think EddieM (where is he nowadays?) pointed out, long ago, hereabouts.
Quote from elsewhere .......When alcohol and water mix the resulting volume of the two solutions is less than the total of the individual volumes. In this case "one plus one" does not equal two. The reason for this decrease in volume can be attributed to the hydrogen bonds which develop between the alcohol molecules and the water molecules (See "Surface Tension of Water" to see a further explanation of hydrogen bonding). This hydrogen bond pulls the molecules really close to each other and the small water molecules will fit nicely in the spaces between the alcohol molecules...
And so this may have an impact... although very little with wine at about 15% ABV.
:D

I think EddieM (where is he nowadays?) pointed out, long ago, hereabouts.
Quote from elsewhere .......When alcohol and water mix the resulting volume of the two solutions is less than the total of the individual volumes. In this case "one plus one" does not equal two. The reason for this decrease in volume can be attributed to the hydrogen bonds which develop between the alcohol molecules and the water molecules (See "Surface Tension of Water" to see a further explanation of hydrogen bonding). This hydrogen bond pulls the molecules really close to each other and the small water molecules will fit nicely in the spaces between the alcohol molecules...
And so this may have an impact... although very little with wine at about 15% ABV.
:D
What was once clear is now opaque. Thanks for that :confused: ;) :LOL:

i met this blonde she was staring at a bottle of orange juice, i asked her why, she said because it says "concentrate"

Sponsored Links
Back