Little containers to store paint and other tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is obvious to many but it never actually made me realise why I procrastinated so much over touch-ups until I thought about it!

The thought of lumbering the huge emulsion tub or paint tin from the garage, stirring it and generally setting everything up just didn't seem worth it to deal with a small area that needed touching up. Then no sooner than everything is put away, I find another area that needs attention.

So, I'm wanting to create a little box of paints and brushes etc to store in a utility room for the next episode and I've got two questions:

Firstly, I was going to simply use glass jars that had something like jam or gherkins in them to store the paint but after testing a jar with water by shaking it upside down I realised it's not airtight. I am assuming it needs to be so, therefore, has anyone got any ideas that would be better to store paint that's either cheap to buy or could be reused?

Secondly, what tips or other items would be useful for this box? I think a mini roller and tray for walls? A little stirring stick, small bottle of white spirit, newspaper etc.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Recycle your glass jars which used to have liquid in them (Pickles, sauces, etc).
Store them with the paint UPSIDEDOWN. Stops evaporation.
And label the buggers.
Don't store them in a shed where frost is possible.

Recycle your glass jars which used to have liquid in them (Pickles, sauces, etc).
Store them with the paint UPSIDEDOWN. Stops evaporation.
And label the buggers.
Don't store them in a shed where frost is possible.

Thanks and interesting. Do you use jars that way too and if so do any of them leak? As said in my previous thread, I found them to leak but that's only when I shook them while upside down!

I intend to keep them in my house along with other necessary items otherwise I just won't be bothered to go down the garden to the garage!

Thanks again.

I keep the little bottles of Brushmate liquid to store small quantities of white spirit and isopropyl alcohol, etc.

I don't tend to store paint in small jars because you can't fit a 2.5" brush in to them. I do however top up 1L tins for small jobs.

I am not sure why your gherkin jars leaked. Perhaps the seal became rigid. I store ammonia in a Branston pickle jar.

Sponsored Links
I use jam jars for all sorts of things.
One idea would be to use clingfilm over the jar top before adding the lid, and potentially adding a second layer once the lid is on?
I use gaffer tape / duct tape a fair amount - that might do.
Don't forget to label the jar with the paint name and room.

I put wet brushes in a zip lock bag between sessions. I have come back to them weeks later and they've still been wet. So that should solve your "oh, I didn't see that bit" conundrum - you just need to stick the brush in a zip lock bag and not get around to cleaning it up for a few days, giving you time to spot other things that needed painting.

I put wet brushes in a zip lock bag between sessions. I have come back to them weeks later and they've still been wet. So that should solve your "oh, I didn't see that bit" conundrum - you just need to stick the brush in a zip lock bag and not get around to cleaning it up for a few days, giving you time to spot other things that needed painting.

And brushes used for oil based paints can be stored indefinitely in a BrushMate (provided that you top up the vapour pad). In the past I have had a decorator that work for me that stored his brushes in buckets full of car brake oil. That said, he would then wipe the brush on a dirty old rag before using using it. His quality of finish was far from acceptable. He no longer works for me.

And brushes used for oil based paints can be stored indefinitely in a BrushMate (provided that you top up the vapour pad).....

Yes, I inadvertently discovered the Brush Mate system the other day when you previously mentioned their liquid. Initially I thought it was a half-baked gimmick but it has outstanding reviews especially by pros, so much so that I think dark magic is involved so I'm scared to try. I will be painting a lot skirting soon so it could a well worth investment.....when I pluck up the courage!

Thanks again.

I frequently store brushes loaded up with paint in tin foil/ poly bags. I am quite lazy so buy reasonable brushes but Chuck them after a job if cleaning time is excessive. I’d rather paint than clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back