Live and Neutral wires gotten mixed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .. I've just changed my switch for the lights in my room but there's a problem. I forgot to place a marking on the live wire and they are all grey instead of colored. As the switches had 2 slots, the 1st slot is supposed to hold only the live wire. while the other slot is supposed to hold both the neutral wire and the earth wire.
At the moment the lights are working.

Would it pose a hazard if I were to place them wrongly and is there any way I could do to identify which is the live and neutral wire?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if it was live and neutral it would go bang when you switch it on, its live and switch live. 99.9% it doesnt matter, but do use this as a learning curve

this is only true of a light switch with 2 wires (not counting earth)

live to neutral is bang in any language (but perhaps the spelling isn't)

Sponsored Links
Thanks For the replies breezer and Eddie M

Sorry for the delay in the reply I was pretty tied up lately

Yes Singapore's wiring standard should be exactly the same as UK as we are using the same 3 pin socket as yours and we are also running on 220v.

heheh I guess it was a lucky shot not to have short circuited my house on my first attempt.

I see Thanks again for the input I was searching throughout the internet for the answer for over an hour but couldn't find any topic on it.

KreuZ said:
Yes Singapore's wiring standard should be exactly the same as UK as we are using the same 3 pin socket as yours and we are also running on 220v.
just because you see british sockets doesn't mean its wired to british standards.

hahaha I thought so...
Well, honestly I know nothing about electrics and wiring ..

To me, there are 3 wires, earth, neutral and live and they are placed in the same positions as the UK's
E
N L (when the pins are facing away from you)
Hmmm is it the same?

I have really no idea of whats after the wall socket (shouldn't they be the same?).

The only diffenece I noticed is that difference countries run on different voltage(and I suppose AC/DC?)

Please you are welcomed to correct me anything that I'm wrong or ignorant about
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back