Live but unused outdoor cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a live but unneeded outdoor cable which I would like to disconnect from the supply box how do I remove it from the supply box Tully

Sponsored Links
If you have to ask, I would advise that you do not do it.

Please get someone who knows how - even if not an actual electrician.

What evidence do you have that it is directly connected to the main fuse board/CU? It could be fed from somewhere else. If you do not have any test equipment, you will need some.
As above if you do not understand the very basics and do not have the required test equipment and the skill set to establish where the power is supplied from, it would be foolish not to employ someone with the above, to carry this work out for you.
It could be a simple disconnection or could be more complicated.

We had exactly this situation when we bought the house, live wires going 30m to the green house and shed, I just pulled the fuse from the socket circuit and it was dead. Then I went round unscrewing the sockets at the back of the house and soon found one with 4 cables coming in (including a flex) the flex was going directly to a conservatory light fitting.
So I disconnected the two and terminated into some chock block and all was well again.
Unfortunately it wasn't, as it turned out one of the other cables was a spur to a triple socket in the conservatory, meaning the original socket was also a spur.

Sponsored Links
Who needs an electrician or a man lol all done.
You needed this website, were you have asked questions to and been given advice by both men and electricians.:whistle:
Also if you used the screwdriver as a test instrument to identify and prove this circuit, you have been very foolish.

John D v2.0 thanks, I have traced the wire it was armor cable and went back to the mains supply box into the house, I switched off the outdoor fuse and unscrewed the complete supply box which was very damp and went at it with an old insulated screwdriver my elderly mother users and took out the three wires all burnt and than screwed the box back up and pulled the wires out the box from the loft. Who needs an electrician or a man lol all done. X Tully.
Great job, well done! 80% of small jobs you only need a little knowledge, after that you just need the confidence.(y)

Thank you again guys and thank you Prenticeboyofderry Your advice was sound so pleased Insorted the problem tully

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back