Live Earth trips RCD despite most breakers off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on getting a sparky to investigate but before I ask the same chap (or someone else) that rewired the kitched and replaced the fuse box, I thought Id seek a bit of wisdom here.
When I disabled my upstairs sockets and lights on the breakers and was cutting the cable to fit a dp socket it tripped the 63a 30mA RCD. I tested it again and worked out it was the shorting of the earth and live (not neutral) that was causing this which I find very confusing as the power was off. There is definetly no live current (tested with sparky screwdriver and multimeter).
Further testing of removing all plugs from all sockets (other that hard wired items such as immersion and dw and wmachine) and disabling all breakers had no effect on this (dead) live to earth RCD short effect (as expected tbh). N to Earth doesnt exhibit the same problem.

The plasterer spured a socket in one bedroom last week (which is why I was wiring the socket and found this provlem) but I feel this is a preexisting issue from before we moved in as the sparky experienced a similar problem during the kitchen rewire but its not reated its head and we dont have random. I havent tesyed it but believe this may well happen in other rooms upstairs too.
Any ideas what on earth (pun intendee) is happening with the L to E short triggering the RCD despite there being no power on?
Fwiw when checking the (off) L to E at the same point. there was no voltage but some variable resistance registering. This check didnt triggered the RCD.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this head scratcher.

Sponsored Links
Circuit breakers only disconnect line, neutral and earth are still connected.
The resistance between L&N is other equipment still connected to the circuit.
Connecting L&E or N&E together provides a path for current from other powered circuits and will trip the RCD in some circumstances, depending on the load, circuit resistance and various other factors.

Circuit breakers only disconnect line, neutral and earth are still connected.
The resistance between L&N is other equipment still connected to the circuit.
Connecting L&E or N&E together provides a path for current from other powered circuits and will trip the RCD in some circumstances, depending on the load, circuit resistance and various other factors.
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying this entirely expected behavior?
What is confusing is that I didn't think there were other powered circuits (see photo of fusebox before I tested the E to L short, also with the alarm breaker also off (it appears on in the photo)). The up RCD on the right is the one that trips with this intentional short.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20170820_181817.jpg
    20170820_181817.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 128
Yes it would be expected behaviour. L and E are not meant to be shorted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back