Live leakage to metal light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a brand new metal wall light fitting. It has a live, neutral and earth block connector. Out of curiosity I decided to use multimeter to check continuity between them and the metal of the fitting. Earth, max reading. Neutral, no reading. Live, a small reading!

I've no experience in these matters but surely this cannot be acceptable. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
What do mean by 'max reading' and 'no reading' and what value is the 'small reading'?

The Earth should be 0.00Ω and the Neutral and Live each should be 'infinite' or 'OL' (over limit) or '1' depending on the meter.

Is there a bulb in it? What type?
Is the bulb 12 volt and the fitting has a 'transformer' of some sort?

I suppose any meter recording more than one function is a multi-meter, However the normal multi-meter measures using between 1.5 and 22 volt battery to directly measure ohms (EVO Mk8 for example) and at 20,000Ω per volt that is very little current and also too low of a voltage to show any leakage.

So in real terms looking at full scale reading either infinity well always recorded as ≥xΩ one never writes down zero or infinity but less than minimum or more than medium reading. So any reading not max or min shows an error. Be it a light left on, or main isolator.

So continuity less than 5Ω and insulation more than 100KΩ in the main one finds one has made a mistake, however clearly that's not always the case.

I should have said that the light fitting has not yet been installed. I used the multimeter to check whether there was a connection between the metal light fitting itself and and the live, neutral and earth in the block connector. Hence I used the connectivity setting. If I bring the two probes together there is a max continuity as you would expect. The earth in the block connector has max continuity. The neutral in the block has no continuity. The live in the block has a little continuity. Surely this unacceptable.

Sponsored Links
I would say there should be no leakage to the earthed metal from the live supply they should be completely isolated.

One other point, check your lighting circuit earth agains the socket earth to make sure you are properly earthed.

Found out my downstairs lighting circuit wasn't earthed due to a dodgy light fitting / installation and to make it worse it was the one nearest consumer unit!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back