Living in a caravan on driveway

My mates neighbour across the way has built a rather grand 'shed' on the side of his house. He found an old loo, some pipes, some cables and that 'got stored' rather cleverly, inside the shed also. His outcast brother-in-law spends a lot of time in that shed. ;)

Sponsored Links
Caravans can be a tricky subject in terms of Planning regulations and the rules are very complicated, they have many exemptions that allow them to be used on a residential property above and beyond the usual permitted development rules. However, with these sorts of situations the use must be ancillary to the dwellinghouse. So the homeowner could use it to house a relative or friend provided it is not a completely self contained residential unit. Whilst the caravan can have cooking and bathroom facilities you would expect the occupier of the caravan to have free access and occasionally use the facilities in the main house for example.

Another avenue to investigate is often newer estate houses have restrictive covenants about siting caravans on the property.

As others have suggested probably a conversation with the neighbour is the best option. You would hope it is only a temporary arrangement for 6 months or so. That is a small caravan to live in for any prolonged length of time although people do.

I'd have thought the bigger hassle would be the extra vehicles associated with the people living in the 'van.

Where I've lived for many years there is a covenant in the deeds regarding parking of Caravans, Boats/Trailers and Trailers. Speaking with a neighbour who lived there from when the estate was built the covenant only applied until all houses built and sold and now such cannot be parked in front of the building line.

If you are living in an estate check your deeds, the neighbours should be similar. However if the van is not on your property, is not a fire risk to your self or the neighbours, is not in front of the building line and the parking is not causing you a problem then I guess you have to live with it. Just be careful of stiring up neighbour trouble.

Last edited:
It's a lot easier for people on the internet to preach about give and take than it is for those actually putting up with it. Obviously we're short of houses as a nation. But turning decent neighbourhoods into shanty towns isn't the answer. Besides, it may not be housing for the needy and could be an airbnb for stag nights for all anyone knows.

It's a judgement call. If you talk to them and they're stupid about it then they'll know who called the council later. If you call the council then, strictly speaking, you would need to declare this as a dispute if you sell your house (but nobody could check if you lied).

My suggestion would be to make a date in your diary in six months. It may be temporary and go away shortly. Chill out about it for now, if it's still there then think about what to do about it.

You may find that someone else complains and/or the council spots it and asks them to apply for planning permission (that they probably wouldn't get so they won't bother and will remove it).

Sponsored Links
Caravans can be a fire risk and on official sites must be spaced at least 6 metres apart... Down to 3 metres when the same 'family/household' occupy the two units.

I'd be concerned it's too close for fire safety if being occupied long term. (Occasional use for sleeping accommodation would be different.)

As nobody on here knows the actual reason for the neighbours friend moving in, then most replies are pretty superfluous to the original question.

Maybe your neighbour was going to buy a caravan in the winter sales, when they are often cheaper, for use next year on a touring holiday.
Maybe her friend is coming out of a broken relationship and has nowhere to stay till she finds her feet.
Maybe her own home has been damaged, (for whatever reason), and has become uninhabitable until it is repaired/rebuilt.
These people could be life-long friends from early childhood and have always been there for each other. Unfortunately, the neighbour doesn't have room in her own house so has bought/hired the caravan as an alternative. They may even have shared the cost between themselves.
It may be a short-term arrangement or it could be a more permanent one. We don't know, so can't really advise on the best course of action.

As often happens when people come on here asking for advice/opinions, we need to know all the available facts/details before being more selective in our replies.

A neighbors son lived in a caravan for about a year. Never bothered us. I also know a lad that lives in a shed in the garden that's kitted out.
If it causes you a nuisance and they won't be responsible then phone council and get them shifted. If it's not effecting you leave them alone. Jmo.
You could consider it a security benefit... Your own gate keepers and Amazon parcel collection service. Ha.. I would...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back