Living without electricity

and it would be better in rural areas? Anyway no matter I am not contesting the fact that a significant loss of electricity for a protracted peripd of time would be disastrous to life as we know it rural or urban.

Sponsored Links
and it would be better in rural areas?
If we're talking about a fairly long-term situation (which is what the title of this thread seems to imply), then I think it probably would.

I live in a relatively rural location (albeit only a stone's throw, with a vehicle and fuel, from London), and I would guess that I am surrounded by hundreds of square miles in which probably under 1% of the land is occupied by buildings, the other 99%+ being land which is, or could be, used to provide food within walking (or, at least, horse-ride) distance from me. There are even quite a lot of horses around here, so even transport would be a bit better than in other places.

If I were in the middle of London, or any other major urban area, I suspect that I would be less sure about something as simply (and basic) as food supply.

Kind Regards, John

Water supplies need electric. With total loss of power, the loss of water will be the first thing that drives humans back to cave men - more so in a city like London where rivers are visibly polluted and underground.

Nozzle

Even without any loss-of-power exacerbation, thousands of people die in London every week. Good fun having all the bodies piling up, no lighting, no refrigeration, emergency services paralysed...

Sponsored Links
When the 33kV over head cable fell off the pylon ( and AFTER the power had been confirmed as switched OFF ) there was the opportunity for some reckless exercise
33kv down.jpg

But then the reality of no electricity took over and some DIY work provided for a more sensible and productive ( generative ) form of Keep Fit.

Water supplies need electric. With total loss of power, the loss of water will be the first thing that drives humans back to cave men - more so in a city like London where rivers are visibly polluted and underground.
Indeed - and, as per my recent comment, that would probably be at least a slightly lesser problem in (some) rural areas, since natural sources of drinkable water are more likely to be found in such places than in the centre of London.

However, as I implied (at least, meant to), so long as fuel could be found, the most crucial of services (with, I would imagine, water supplies being near the top of the list) would probably continue, to at least some extent, on the basis of standby generators.

A very widespread (or even nationwide) loss of electricity for a substantial period of time would clearly be catastrophic. More realistically, I wonder how long (hours, days or what) a period of total power loss would be required before widespread major (life-threatening) consequences started showing their faces?

Kind Regards, John

and it would be better in rural areas? Anyway no matter I am not contesting the fact that a significant loss of electricity for a protracted peripd of time would be disastrous to life as we know it rural or urban.

if you live in a town or city, with a lot of other people, then the electricity industry will try to reconnect you more quickly than they will remote rural areas.

the distances are shorter, the customers are more numerous, and the financial loss is greater, in towns.

If we had a catastrophic system failure tomorrow, it would more likely be due to an internet attack from a state somewhere to the East of Ukraine.

if you live in a town or city, with a lot of other people, then the electricity industry will try to reconnect you more quickly than they will remote rural areas. the distances are shorter, the customers are more numerous, and the financial loss is greater, in towns.
It's undoubtedly true that they would hope/like to 'try' more in urban areas, but the magnitude of task (and the potential amount of time required to address it) could also be much greater in such areas.

Kind Regards, John

workers will be moved into the towns, and the distribution and transmission assets supplying them.

More realistically, I wonder how long (hours, days or what)
Hours in a large city.

With police activity coordination wrecked (is the entire Tetra and/or 4G LTE network (dunno where they are with that transition) fully emergency-powered?), the streets impassible to vehicles anyway, absolutely no lighting, as soon as it gets dark there will be people emerging who are prepared to use force to acquire things they want, and come sunrise will realise they can continue in daylight.

The same problems of lack of paramedic activity, and hospital functioning, will see people dying within hours.

How long before the fires start?

There is an alternative communications network for emergency services and government offices.

Utilities workers and police have PMR because, in a major incident, mobile networks are liable to stop working.

It is said that we are three meals away from anarchy.

No doubt looters will be shot, until the bullets run out.

Yes, major problems would probably arise within hours (in a large city). As for NHS hospitals, they are theoretically required to have enough generating capacity and fuel to be able to maintain critical supplies for at least 24 hours"" (many claim that can do much better than that) - but, of course, people needing life-saving admission to hospital might well not be able to get there!
**The one and only time I recall experiencing an attempt to fire up a hospital genny 'in anger', the main one wouldn't start, and they had to resort to a secondary diddy one to keep the truly life-critical supplies going. Fortunately the power cut only lasted an hour or two.

hmm.. you neglect the biggest danger. Dystopian I know, but in a prolonged disaster the over 40's are toast.

which in a horrible way is the best solution. Ahh the thin veneers of human respectability. species survival will always prevail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back