Periodic Inspections and Putting it right

Yes, but I was trying to point out that the inspection that the OP has had will have been done to the old PIR regime.

That means that all of the diversionary guff about EICR (interesting as it may be some of us) has nothing to do with the OP's topic.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I was trying to point out that the inspection that the OP has had will have been done to the old PIR regime. That means that all of the diversionary guff about EICR (interesting as it may be some of us) has nothing to do with the OP's topic.
Yes, that's very probably true. However, although the requirement to change to EICR does come for another 6 weeks or so, I thought that some people had already adopted it? Mind you, I don't know how confident we can be that the OP will ever get any sort of report!!

Kind Regards, John.

I agree with both Taylortwocities and JohnW2 in that it will not help the situation and as yet still using old system.

However with so many uncertainties it's hard to criticize what another electrician includes and where.

In the end the guy will want a PIR to satisfy insurers and letting agent but without undue expense.

To change electrician is likely to cause expense so unless the work required is hundreds of pounds over the top then likely best option is to go with the firm he has.

Consumer unit change is likely to be recommended and looking at the ESC best practice guide it's also likely that by pointing out what it says the electrical firm would if they have coded it change it as having no code just comments.

What any home owner has to consider is it worth doing anyway even if not forced. One does have to make it look as if one as a land lord is worried about the occupiers safety even if in real terms you are just trying to protect your property both from fire and miss-use. If the tenant thinks you are looking after him he is less likely to risk having to move.

Is the spark asking for more money?

If not, let him come back to recheck the CU.

If he is, I would ask the electrician to fulfil your contract.

IE, you paid for a PIR, but you have no receipt or report to show for the money.

Explain that the electrician had all the time he wanted to look at the consumer unit.

Give them a time limit to come up with the report, after which you will contact the NIC to complain.

As for the quote, you did not ask for a quote for remedial works yet, all you want at this moment is the report.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I am intending to let out my flat so have had a Periodic Inspection Report carried out by a niceic registered electrician.

I read up online about the reports and the length of time taken seemed to vary. For a two bedroomed flat I was charged £80 and didn't seem to take over 35 minutes. I was expecting longer, although he did test some circuits there was a visual inspection over all.

He wouldn't give a receipt at the time but insisted it would be emailed with the report. Not to mention being without a receipt, i was expecting the report at the end of the testing. Is this normal to have the report several days after?

Any advice? Or suggestions for good people in Birmingham city centre for alternative quotes??

Take a look at this

Haha, awesome animation ;) So true. I did ask for a PIR, if they where approved NICEIC, and 'full testing' and report was to be included. Bad me did pay a little too quickly.

I see you have all been busy since the original OP!
Thanks for the replies,

I think what happened is the original guy who came out wanted to do a 'quick job' on site. End of last week after a couple of polite/pushy chases for the report they requested to come back again to sort out a 'confusion'.

This time the younger guy was accompanied by someone who I assume was his father and clearly wanted to do a more thorough job. After a mountain of confusion over what circuits did what... we eventually got there.. the report has been sent over along with a quote today.

The consumer unit is a MEM 2000, with the following from right to left.

01. 32A Shower
02 .32A Cooker (plus single socket/isolation on wall)
03. 32A Sockets Ring Main
04. 32A Heater Ring Main - only kitchen extractor connected to this (unused sockets in bathroom/kitchen blanked off,live socket in lounge)
05. 16A Immersion Heater #1 (Boost - permits override of timer circuit for daytime use with switch isolation from kitchen)
06. 6A Lights
07. 6A Contactor Relay (timer)
08. 16A Immersion Heater #2 (timer operated only)
09. 16A Bedroom Panel Heaters x2
10. 16A Storage Heaters x2 (timer operated only)
11. Spare/Blank
12/13/14 Contactor

The above doesn't exactly appear on the report because they got some of them muddled a bit, but nevermind!.. it generally makes sense and i have sent the above to them to assist a bit!

Now the updated quote states that they would like to fit a new CU, with with a separate contactor for night storage heaters.

1. 17th Edition Crabtree fuse board
2. 3 pole contactor
3. Housing for contactor
4. Improve insulation resistance of circuits as PIR

All for £490... It didn't state if this is including labour or vat which i have requested.

All in all, this sounds more reasonable now (assuming labours included) and the second visit installed a little more confidence in them! However, im still wondering if they could just fit 3x rcbos as they originally suggested... however at 65 each we are getting into the territory of a new board at the above quoted price anyway. (assuming they have included labour).

It is very basic to identify the circuits. Its the first thing you do otherwise you cannot do the testing at the end of each circuit - I wonder if they actually did that?

I would accept the quote. It must include everything including certification and notification to the LABC.
Look out for any "open ended" disclaimers.
Do check if its the monkey or the organ grinder that will be doing the work.

Do check they are on the NICEIC database of registered electricians. NICEIC will guarantee the worrkmanship of their registered electricians so you'll know that you are covered if it goes toes up.

Given your initial experience with them I'm amazed that you'd consider for a moment the idea of having them do actual work.

As you have found out, some things have changed since your flat was wired, but regulations are not retrospective so anything that is now a reg (eg RCD's on all circuits) and was not at the time of installation will be coded as 4 (information) and you do not have to do anything about it - unless new electrical work is being done.
On the other hand, anything reported as not to current standards is something a potential future litigator could use. I chose to update the CU in the flat last year on the basis that if it's all fully up to date (and certified as such) then in the event of a problem I have that as an immediate first response. It immediately puts the burden on the other party to demonstrate why there was a problem, rather than myself having to demonstrate why there wasn't - on an installation which I knew wasn't to current standards.

It's a sad world when things like that come down to covering your backside for legal reasons.

Of course, wanting to have a property I was confident wasn't going to give any problems is also a consideration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back