PIR wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to commission a periodic inspection report on my house (South Bucks area). It's a reasonably substantial job - four bedroom detached house on three floors with four reception rooms + kitchen and garage.

I don't have a regular electrician who is NICEIC registered so have spoken to one found on a simple search. His quote (without visiting) is for not more than half a day, which is a bit less than I would have expected for what I understand is the scope of testing needed.

Any of you sparkies care to comment and anyone local enough to be interested in quoting for the job?

Sponsored Links
When comparing quotes for PIRs, ensure you also compare the limitations of the PIR (no PIR is ever 100%, this should be agreed with the client!), and on a similar note, the percentage of inspections (sometimes its dragged out to extremes!)

I'd expect about a day for a biggish house

Has this Spark actually given you a quote, or is he doing it on an hourly rate? If it's a quote based on half a day then it sounds cheap - but check it's for a full test. If you're employing a spark on a hourly rate then unplug all of your portable appliances, washing machines etc to save paying him half a day just to do your insulation tests.

Why do you need an NICEIC certificate as opposed to any other?

Probably aprrox half day on site plus time to get the report together.

Its a report, not a certificate btw!

Sponsored Links
Has this Spark actually given you a quote, or is he doing it on an hourly rate? If it's a quote based on half a day then it sounds cheap - but check it's for a full test. If you're employing a spark on a hourly rate then unplug all of your portable appliances, washing machines etc to save paying him half a day just to do your insulation tests.

Why do you need an NICEIC certificate as opposed to any other?

Thanks for that tip. What constitutes a 'portable appliance'? Anything that is 'plugged in' as opposed to fixed wiring?

Ref NICEIC, I may be getting this wrong but I thought I need a report by a NICEIC approved person to satisfy the HIP requirements?

Go round your house and make a list of anything that is connected that cannot be unplugged. On the list state where the isolation switch is for each (there should be one!)

Things that add time to a PIR are forgotten items like TV amplifiers buried in the loft attached to lighting circuits, intruder alarms, PIR lights, etc etc.

Ref NICEIC, I may be getting this wrong but I thought I need a report by a NICEIC approved person to satisfy the HIP requirements?

Doesn't have to be NICEIC, there are several other schemes NAPIT, ECA, ELECSA, & BRE.

Who ever is insisting on NIC should be educated to the fact.

Also you should check that whoever does the PIR has professional indemnity insurance.

Doesn't have to be NICEIC, there are several other schemes NAPIT, ECA, ELECSA, & BRE.

Who ever is insisting on NIC should be educated to the fact.

Too right, the NIC will have a monopoly at this rate :cry:

I thought I need a report by a NICEIC approved person to satisfy the HIP requirements?

You dont need any report on the electrical installation by an independant person (NICEIC or not) for a HIP. The person preparing the HIP will give a cursory opinion on the state of the electrical istallation. they'll do teh same for other services and the building fabric . That's all, no detailed info.

They will then spend an inordinate amount of time scoring your house for energy efficiency :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back