Load bearing or not?

google Trussed partitions. They can be used to take some of the loads from the floor under them.
Thank you, that's interesting.
And I can see how it is completely relevant for the OP.

...although I'm still wondering about my wall. Originally there was a supporting wall underneath - it may be lucky that it is a trussed partition, because the lower wall was removed a long time ago!

...but thinking about it, it may be partly self-supporting, as it sits on the floor boards midway between two sets of joists...

Sponsored Links
Much appreciated chaps. Will defo be leaving it in situ and will work around it. Blood regs, I'll fit something in.

I'm not saying it isn't load bearing, but is there a possibility that it's just the way Victorians did things?
I've hacked enough Victorian buildings to say probably not just the way they did things. Doing those joints took more time and cost more money (for materials) that straightforward studwork, so I'd say they were put in to stiffen the wall (or inhibit racking) or to transfer any loading to another point on the floor - something you see in walls above barrel vault ceilings where they want as much load as possible carried by/transmitted into the girders between the masonry arches. Also, most studs are/were 2in or so thick. What cross section are the OPs? They look a bit chunkier than that to me, a possible indication of load bearing

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
2*3 timbers at 14" centres.
3 x 2s would normally be on something like 16in or 24in centres, so that only adds to my suspicion that the wall was meant to carry some load. With load bearing studs you sometimes get other "features" such as extra thick sole plates and headers, studs mortise and tenoned into the sole plate/header or sometimes halving jointed, etc

3 x 2s would normally be on something like 16in or 24in centres, so that only adds to my suspicion that the wall was meant to carry some load. With load bearing studs you sometimes get other "features" such as extra thick sole plates and headers, studs mortise and tenoned into the sole plate/header or sometimes halving jointed, etc
Correct on all accounts JobAndKnock.

A bit different but enjoy all the light coming in.
Will eventually get round to adding a rope banister... I think.

Thanks for the advice as always!

Attachments

• 16918384376483404886766394442563.jpg
    16918384376483404886766394442563.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 43
Looks ok. My advice is put some cross rails/handrail around. Especially if you have any smaller humans visiting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back