Load Bearing Wall removal - Croydon Council

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at removing a ground floor solid load bearing wall (opening around 1.9m).

From my initial investigations it looks like i need calcs and building regs.

Whats the going rate for calcs this way? Do any come more recommended than others? I've had prices ranging from £300-£400+vat from some structural engineers. Plus the council already wants £216 for the application of any work £0-£1000.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've had quotes from £300-£400 I should say the going rate is about £350 wouldn't you say?

Should have expected a sarcastic answer.

I've seen people suggest on here £100 in other threads, and also mentioning building surveyor's instead of structural engineers.

a 152 x 89 UB on 150 deep by 225 long concrete padstones would do fine for this span; the problem is convincing the council.
I do calcs for a beam and bearings for £125 but then life's tough up here in the north west. I would love to be able to charge £3-400.

Sponsored Links
Should have expected a sarcastic answer.

Not at all. If you have got local quotes, then those are the going rates for you. The going rates near me are different

If you use a standard lintel, as per the manufacturers guidance, then you wont need any calculations

You also need to find out if the council actually needs calculations for beams up to a certain length. Some dont

The council website seems very vague, and the people I've spoken to on the phone seem disinterested or unknowledgeable. I shall have another look at the site though. I'm sure I've seen 'over 2m' span being mentioned before.

a 152 x 89 UB on 150 deep by 225 long concrete padstones would do fine for this span; the problem is convincing the council.
I do calcs for a beam and bearings for £125 but then life's tough up here in the north west. I would love to be able to charge £3-400.
Chances are the £300-400 include a site visit and survey.. and i bet your £125 doesn't which is where the cost difference often comes in..

I would have said £300-400 is about right..

We didn't require any calculations.

I put building notice in, building inspector came round, said 8 x 4 will be plenty, no calcs needed.

I know some councils publish a list of acceptable spans/beam sizes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back