Load Bearing Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can i tell if a wall is load bearing or not? I've just been to view a house i'm interested in buying, but would like to remove the wall between dinning room and kitchen to make nice sized through kitchen diner. But dunno if possible cos of wall. If it is load bearing, how much could in cost to have removed :?: It's only about 3 meters long, surely it wouldn't cost too much would it?

Sponsored Links
a way to tell its load bearing if theres a wall above it or joists joining on it

if the joists run parralel with the wall and there isnt up stairs wall then its probably not load bearing

Sponsored Links
one sure way to tell if its a loadbearing wall is to knock it down - if your house follows then it is/was :oops:

if it stays up then it wasnt (or your house doesnt understand gravity - i've seen a few houses who didnt pass physics - quite incredible really :eek:)

see what bigall said, also check if theres a wall directly above the wall you want to knock down (stud or block?), and check the roof to see if theres any struts coming down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back