Is this load bearing? Cost of removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I want to knock through from my small kitchen into my small dining room to create a kitchen diner (like everyone else).

I've just taken a drill to the offending wall and it is single course breeze block with dot/dab plaster board each side.

Does this mean it is automatically a load bearing wall?

THe house was built (thrown together on a Friday afternoon by a bunch of blind incompetent 'artists' in a hurry) in 1989 and is a small detatched two story house.

The reason I question whether it is load bearing is that all the beams in the ceiling run from the front of the house to the back of the house. The wall runs the same direction..... Can this therefore be a load bearing wall?

Here is a plan view of the house as it is now....

CurrentGroundFloorPlan.png

CurrentUpstairsfloorplan.png

The wall to be removed is the one to the rear of the house dividing the two rooms that are next to the conservatory.

If it is load bearing, how much would a builder typically charge to insert a beam and remove the wall?

And if the beams run parallele to the wall how could it be load bearing? (if it is)?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the bathroom wall (next to the loo) lie directly above this wall? and what is it made of?

Does the bathroom wall (next to the loo) lie directly above this wall? and what is it made of?

No, it is off set by about 8" and is hollow stud wall....

However....

Note to self: Don't assume that beams in the front bedroon run all the way back to the rear of the house....

Just lifted the bathroom boards and found that from the top of the staircase backwards, the beams change direction and run from side to side... :rolleyes:

So, I guess it is load bearing. Which is a total pain in the back side. I was hoping to just 'whizz it out' by my self - job done, but oh no, nothing could go smoothly could it?

So I guess my question is now....

How much would a typical builder charge to fit a suitabe beam so I could knock the wall down?

forum rules... can't see it, can't quote it..

we can't discern from the info whether the beam will need to support any load from above etc.. it' span, the roof structure etc..

could also be that the beams under the bathroom are hung off of a beam that runs front to back

have you checked in the bedroom over the wall? ( should be able to see the top of it if it's offset by 8 inches.. )

Sponsored Links
forum rules... can't see it, can't quote it..

we can't discern from the info whether the beam will need to support any load from above etc.. it' span, the roof structure etc..

could also be that the beams under the bathroom are hung off of a beam that runs front to back

have you checked in the bedroom over the wall? ( should be able to see the top of it if it's offset by 8 inches.. )

Fair enough.

Can't get under the bedroom floor without pulling up a wooden floor.
Wall / replacement beam is 3m long and would rest on the outer wall at the rear of the house and the wall that divides the lounge / dining room that is also load bearing and made from breeze block.

The bathroom / bedroom beams run the full width of the house and are supported at the outer walls and the middle wall I want to remove.

I appeciate you are unable to quote - I didn't know the rules and I'm ignorant as to general building costs.

I wouldn't have a clue if it was gojng to be £500 or £2000 so just wanted a ball park.

Thanks anyway

Just out of interest....

Given that the beams that go accross the top of the lounge from front to the middle wall that supports the staircase are 14 feet long and are perfectly ok, the ones in question that span the kitchen and dining room from side to side are only 18 inches longer....

Would I be asking a silly question is I asked if 18 inches longer or put another way only 11% longer, was enough to require a load bearing wall in the middle?

The beams are 6"x2" and the same as the ones spanning the lounge and spaced the same distance apart.

Just seems odd that it is okay in one direction yet potentially not in another with only an extra 18 inches?

Also, are there any links to building regs websites that will allow me to calculate beam spans etc

try giving your bco a call.

I built a bungalow last year and i had to weld 30 foot rsj's together to get the full 78 feet span.

It was supported on several internal walls at regular intervals but the bco guy pulled out a book and advised me what to use.

He has sinced signed off the work so im happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back