Loading the trowel from the hawk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have a question on an area I struggle with and hoping for a tip or two.

I really struggle loading the plaster onto the trowel. :confused:

My hawk is 13" square and most of the time use a small trowels (~11") for Bonding or Multi-finish.

I don't like it too firm (so I get longer to work with it and it goes one easier). I would suspect by a pro standards, it could be runnier - but I don't think my technique is up to it.

If this description makes sense....
I was taught to angle my trowel (quite shallow) and drag to the side of the hawk. The squeezing action allows a small 'wedge' of plaster to stick to the trowel. The trowel can remain facing down this way and the wedge will stick.

I have tried to perhaps increase the angle a bit so the 'wedge' is bigger - but generally then most of it ends up on the floor :cry:

I have seen some people do almost a type of flick, but not quite sure what I'm doing here - and then it still ends up on the floor! :mad:

I would hope that if I can load my trowel better, it will help me speed up too.

Any help to improve my technique appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm definitely no pro but always have a go at plastering with fairly good results. The technique is to move the hawk over the trowel the trowel should stay pretty still. If its pretty sloppy mix (Which is like mine) I'll have enough on the hawk to get most onto one trowel load then spread that on the wall, then you can work it in. For edges and trickier areas I'll load up a small amount on the edge of the trowel to work in the edges.

I'll have enough on the hawk to get most onto one trowel load then spread that on the wall, then you can work it in.

So is the trick to only load your hawk with a small amount at a time for maximum control?

I confess I probably put about 3-4 bucket trowels-worth onto the hawk each time. :eek:
Saves me going back to the spot board as often, but I guess less control maybe.

hi newbie!

shouldn't need a bucket trowel of you're using a spot board, guess you're just giving us an idea of quantity ;)

i would say i use less on the hawk at any one time than you are trying to, so try a little less and see how you get on, another trick is to give the hawk a couple of quick circular swirls once you've put your plaster on (if that makes sense) if will make your plaster flatten out on the hawk but also make it stick to it more.

regarding loading onto trowel it's hard to explain in words, i kinda hold trowel pretty much upside down, face facing upwards and and flick hawk almost upside down to load plaster onto trowel, trowel tilts a little towards hawk as i do the flick but not much.

Sponsored Links
shouldn't need a bucket trowel of you're using a spot board, guess you're just giving us an idea of quantity ;)

Oops... yes. Have worked direct from the bucket sometimes using bucket trowel, so was getting my wires crossed!
(Tho find if I work straight from a bucket that the stuff goes off quicker and cleaning the bucket is a b***er...... also a topic of an earlier post ;) )

another trick is to give the hawk a couple of quick circular swirls once you've put your plaster on (if that makes sense) if will make your plaster flatten out on the hawk but also make it stick to it more.

Makes perfect sense and hadn't thought of that. :idea:

Had been trying to contain it in the middle giving more hawk to press against. Which was of course resulting in a bigger pile in the middle.

Though trying the swirling techinque with the larger quantity I was using, I think a lot would have dropped off! :LOL:

regarding loading onto trowel it's hard to explain in words, i kinda hold trowel pretty much upside down, face facing upwards and and flick hawk almost upside down to load plaster onto trowel, trowel tilts a little towards hawk as i do the flick but not much.

Will give it a try. Description is good. :)

Thanks TM1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back