Local Company Recomendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved in to a new house with a Galaxy Alarm with a MK7 system which I believe has been "Crashed"

Can anyone recommend somebody that could come out and service the alarm and explain how to use it, I am in Alton in Hampshire......

Many thanks

Nicey

Sponsored Links
You can try the security installer forum not sure who on here does Galaxy in your area.

I'm not sure that recommendations are allowed on DIYnot forums...

Look for a local company with NSI or SSAIB accreditation, call them up and ask them if they do Galaxy panels. Think of a silly question to ask them, like "how do I change the code (or time and date)?", and ask for the price of a takeover and the maintenance contract. Expect to pay £50-100 +vat and parts.

no different from recommending ebay for something

Sponsored Links
nsi and ssaib is the place to start for alarm companies just doesn't say who does galaxy when your looking so theres a few phone calls to be made

We have just moved in to a new house with a Galaxy Alarm with a MK7 system

The MK7 is just the keypad model number. The actual alarm will be something like Galaxy 8 or something - does it say anything on the control panel cover? Bear in mind the alarm might go off if you remove the panel cover tho.

I inherited an old ADT Galaxy 8 alarm with a house move and changed the panel to a more up-to-date Galaxy panel. New Galaxy G2-12 panels (12 zone) are on ebay for about £30 and would probably be a straight swap. You'd possibly need a new battery at another £20 or so if yours is old, and possibly a new battery for your siren.

It's not too difficult to swap the panel over if you're confident, but the installation manual takes a bit of getting your head round. Most of the alarm works by 12 volt dc, so it isn't that dangerous. Obviously it's powered by 240 volt mains tho so if you're not confident get a pro in.

Some side notes:
You can get an ethernet module for the Galaxy if you wish (£50), which gives you full control of the panel by phone app or internet etc, and it gives you texts/emails/calls if the alarm goes off - for one quid per month. Google "selfmon" for more info, a few others on here also use the service. (I've no affiliation to the company other than being a happy customer).
The MK7 keypad is also available with "keyprox". These are small keyring tags which you swipe against the keypad for setting and unsetting. The keypads are a bit more expensive (but look exactly the same and would be a straight swap) and are great when you return home with hands full of shopping bags etc.
Some MK7's also have volume control which we find invaluable cos we come and go in the middle of the night due to working shifts, so it's not so noisy pressing buttons.
The Galaxy (and probably other alarms) has a night setting where you can programme whichever sensors you wish to be active while you sleep, and have other zones inactive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back