Locating a combi boiler - ground floor versus second floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...
Quick question regarding locating a combi boiler...
I am in the process of designing a house with a utility room on the ground floor, which is in turn the ideal position for the boiler. However, the combi boiler is to feed a bath and shower on each of the two floors above, i.e. the first and second floor.
So the questions is, given the height difference between the boiler and showers/baths (approx 7m height difference at highest point) is a combi boiler likely to be able to deliver good pressure hot water to these points? That is, would I get a noticeably better result/waterflow if I located the boiler on the top floor?
As an additional point, the boiler I have in mind is a Vokera Linea HE Combination Boiler.
Thanks for any input.
Jamie.

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to dissapoint you but not discussing with a CORGI installer is likely to get you into difficulties.

Putting the boiler high up will mean VERY large gas supply pipes to the boiler.

A combi will only supply a single outlet so only one bathroom can be used at a time.

Using the lower bathroom will starve the upper one.

The cold mains feed has to have sufficient flow for all outlets and probably has not!!!

A bath will take 10-15 minutes to fill with a combi boiler.

I think you are going to have problems. I know that you immagine that all plumbers are totally ignorant and uneducated but they often know some important things which you dont.

Tony

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

The technical information is much appreciated.

I wrote a message here because I am assuming that a lot of plumbers/heating engineers answer the questions here and as such I infact think that plumbers/heating engineers know huge amounts about their trade, which I consider to be the very opposite of ignorant and uneducated.

My question is simply to aid me in placing a boiler on an architectural drawing and to allocate space for it, not to fit it or bypass a Corgi Registered Plumber who as I understand it must be used legally anyway.
As I say I very much appreciate the technical information in your answer but am unsure where the hostility (for want of a better word) has come from in your answer and how it is that you "know" what I am thinking.

In conclusion, I post on these forums because I feel the knowledge and educated individuals who respond make it a worthwhile venture.

I hope you take my response in the good spirit it is meant.

Regards
Jamie.

I think you are going to have problems. I know that you immagine that all plumbers are totally ignorant and uneducated but they often know some important things which you dont.

Not everyone thinks that, I have a lot of respect for people in trades. I do get annoyed when engineers refuse to do small work because they would rather install an entire system and earn thousands instead of a 100 quid but in their position i would too. Probably why DIY gas is so prevalent because the majority of engineers don't do small jobs, my recent experience anyway.

You should get a system boiler with an unvented cylinder or thermal store. If i had space in my house I would.

Sponsored Links
An unvented cyclinder - I have considered that, and not entirely dismissed it yet but it is the additional cost (as I understand it) that is holding me back - but then again maybe it is a false economy!!!
Thanks for your reply

In your case a combi boiler is not very suitable for the reasons I have outlined above.

The correct solution will be an unvented cylinder but only if the mains water supply is adequate, say 45 li/min to an open pipe or 30 li/min with a residual pressure of 1 Bar.

Otherwise a storage tank and open vented cylinder!

There are many people who only want to do larger jobs but that applies to all business. There are also many who prefer smaller jobs, like me as that better enables me to enjoy myself if the occasion arises.

Tony

Agile said:
There are many people who only want to do larger jobs but that applies to all business. There are also many who prefer smaller jobs, like me as that better enables me to enjoy myself if the occasion arises.

Tony

Fair comment ;)

Agile said:
...that better enables me to enjoy myself if the occasion arises...

You mean those stories about plumbers and housewives are true? ;)

As a professional, I am not permitted to discuss affairs with my clients!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back