Location of bathroom ceiling extractor fan....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me where I can locate a ceiling extractor fan? would it work sufficiently where the red cross is. I can;t put it directly above the bath as it is a sloping ceiling.

The pic is quite small so the outside wall is the bottom of the picture, the bath is on the right hand bottom and the door the top left. The bath is located beneath the window.

Sponsored Links
What rating is your fan?

Is it possible to put your fan centrally in the ceiling and duct it to the outside wall?

This would then collect the rising water vapour from the bath, the sink and those extra special vapours rom your dunny!!!

A 12v fan has greater 'flexibility' as in where it can be installed.

i wouldn't personally want to tuck it into a corner.

What about a window extractor fan?

Ceiling fans always strike me as a lot of aggro if you don't actually have to use one - you have to duct it from above the ceiling through to an outside wall, or if it's venting through the roof you've got sealing issues, and if the duct runs through an unheated space you need a condensation trap.

My immediate thought on looking at the drawing was "why not put a wall-mounted fan next to the window, between bath and WC?"

Sponsored Links
it is best to have it as far from the door as you can, as it will suck cool fresh air from the gap under the door and you do not want it to just suck this fresh air out, you want it to drag the stale air out. You should not put it nearer to the door than the bath is.

if it is not directly above a bath or shower the electrical regulations are less stringent so this is an advantage

the higher the better as water vapour is lighter than air and rises to the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back