Ideal location for bathroom extractor

This may solve my problem elsewhere...
The eve in question has a vented soffit. Can I just drop the duct "in there somewhere"? It's impossible to get to the eve from the loft and not particularly easy from the outside either as its a very narrow passage on the side of the house. This eve/soffit is around 30cm from where the bath extractor is.

Interested in your thoughts.

That's very close, I'd think you could easily push a cut length of rigid duct that far, with an elbow or something to go through a hole in the soffit, and slightly sloping so any condensation will drip outside. Though such a short length, well insulated, will not be prone to condensation as it will quickly warm. You may need to add a backdraught shutter.

You could cut your hatch and get your arm through.

The steam must not blow into the loft.

Sponsored Links
The water collects in the tray and drains through the boss
Sorry, I was asking about which pipe connects to the drain outlet on the boss and does that just poke over the eaves? I have vents in my eves

That's very close, I'd think you could easily push a cut length of rigid duct that far, with an elbow or something to go through a hole in the soffit, and slightly sloping so any condensation will drip outside. Though such a short length, well insulated, will not be prone to condensation as it will quickly warm. You may need to add a backdraught shutter.

You could cut your hatch and get your arm through.

The steam must not blow into the loft.
I could get a rigid pipe through the hole in the ceiling (where extractor grill sits) and push it over the eve. (Hadn't thought of this approach as I thought I had to do it from the loft. Thanks!). I can't see how I can drill a hole in the eve to push the face of this pipe out...
Yes, my eves have a vent but water may start to collect on one of the sides. The non-vented end of the soffit may be at a lower level than the vented end. If that makes any sense. Perhaps I am overthinking this

1675359131333.png

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most soffits are the same as yours. The grille is usually installed using flexible duct at this point because of the tight bend. Condensation only forms inside the duct so any access water will run through the grille not sit inside the soffitt.

You may be over thinking it. I installed a heat recovery system in a previous home that extracted warm most air, passed it through a heat exchanger that transferred most of the heat back to the incoming cold air. Because it was designed such that the warm moist air met cold surfaces (for the heat transfer process) a comprehensive condensate collection system with a soffit mounted drip pipe was part of it. I never saw a single drip..... Not that I watched it continually of course. :)

Building regulations require ventilation in the bathrooms of all new homes and have done so for decades. Considering many new homes have at least two bathrooms now, If condensation inside ducts was that much of a problem, I feel we would hear a lot more about it.

Capture.JPG

The hole is cut in the soffit centrally between two joists / rafters. The flexible duct pushed through the hole, the duct is attached to the grille, excess duct is pushed back through the soffit, the grille fixed in place and the duct positioned / straightened correctly in the roof space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back