Bathroom extractor fan with switch on the box?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today my builder put in an extractor fan in my new ensuite. However, unlike the ones we have in the bathroom and old ensuite at the moment, there is no isolation switch (or cord). Currently, the bathroom has a cord that activates the extractor fan independently, and the old ensuite has a switch that allows it to be turned off.

Room has been plastered and painted. Tomorrow is the final day of indoor work.

So, I guess the only solution would be a box that is connected to the light circuit but has an isolation switch / cord on it. But, I cannot find anything like this.

What are my options? Will speak to my builder in the morning, but would be nice to know if there is an option other than ripping out plaster board to access wiring......

I really don't want to have to have an extractor fan on every time I turn the light on. That is just daft - especially as we have a window in the room.

Sponsored Links
It won't be difficult to put in a pull cord switch next to the fan without causing a mess.

Sponsored Links
Have been searching for pull cords, only found a wall type one.

But, going to live with it! I am going to buy one of these instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1IO75Q54ND01R

I have been thinking about experimenting with solar powered lights for a while, and this will site nicely on the window sill in the ensuite, which is south facing, and hopefully provide a nice night light - it is only at night when popping in for a quick wee or to clean my teeth, when my wife is sleeping, that I would want to avoid the turning the fan on. This might just work. Plus, as my wife pointed out, it means the fan will always be on when I am on the loo! Unless it is day time, then there is daylight.

Have been searching for pull cords, only found a wall type one.

But, going to live with it! I am going to buy one of these instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1IO75Q54ND01R

I have been thinking about experimenting with solar powered lights for a while, and this will site nicely on the window sill in the ensuite, which is south facing, and hopefully provide a nice night light - it is only at night when popping in for a quick wee or to clean my teeth, when my wife is sleeping, that I would want to avoid the turning the fan on. This might just work. Plus, as my wife pointed out, it means the fan will always be on when I am on the loo! Unless it is day time, then there is daylight.
Hmm... check the supplier details from your link:
  • Business Name: ShenZhen Shi Ou Yi Pin Dian Zi Shang Wu You Xian Gong Si
Maybe not a quality item?

Isnt there a reg on a fan must automatically come on if the room doesn't have a vent or window ? I may have imagined that though....

My parents have has both their bathrooms done recently and the sparks have fitted the light switches, fan switch and fan isolator on the outside wall next to or above the door, I was not amused !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back