Bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my en-suite extractor has failed and I am looking for recommendations on a new one please. Picture of current unit attached.

Ensuite has no windows and is 1.4 x 2.5m. The duct above the ceiling travels around 2m before it pops out of the roof.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sorry, here you go. It is a timer unit

Attachments

• 1784261D-C41B-4808-9D78-D560A0EABA67.jpeg
    1784261D-C41B-4808-9D78-D560A0EABA67.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
I wasn’t aware that it had a humidity sensor as I’ve never noticed it running outside the parameters of the light switch timer delay...

Having read about humidity sensors, they feel like a good thing to have in the bathroom but I would appreciate your wisdom with this please

Tell me more @flameport.
Also, are you “The Flameport” who’s lighting wiring diagrams I frequently use on the web? They have always been a tremendous help

The problem with just measuring humidity is that it is something that varies all the time, regardless of what is happening in the bathroom.
If the sensor has fixed point at which the fan activates, it will require constant adjustment otherwise it will remain on all the time, or never operate at all.

Some may have more advanced sensing which reacts to an increase or decrease over a certain period of time, but those and the fixed type all rely on a significant increase in humidity when the shower or whatever is used, and on a decrease in humidity afterwards. That change may not be significant or even exist at all if the humidity is already high due to weather or other factors.

They are probably far more successful in places with naturally low humidity - but that isn't anywhere in the UK.

Even if working properly, a humidity sensor does nothing if ventilation is required for other reasons.

If you want it to activate automatically, a motion sensor would be far more reliable, or as there are no windows just have it switched with the light as it is now.

Also, are you “The Flameport” who’s lighting wiring diagrams I frequently use on the web?
Yes, this: https://www.flameport.com/ and this: https://www.youtube.com/user/jjward

Just a thought.

If the old fan did the job, and you know where to get a replacement, why even ask the question?

I think the silence feature was my main consideration at the time of purchasing this fan 4 years ago. I have no idea on whether its right for the size of the room and the length of ducting it's having to push through. I cited these in my original post.

I was hoping that you could recommend an appropriate unit on this basis.

Jupiter
My recommendation is to get the same one (perhaps without humidity sensor). Whenever I have changed brand (as a DIYer) the new brand one needs the cables to come in from opposite side, or different length cables, or screw hole position has changed. So unless some big issue with old one, suggest you get the same to minimise effort of job.
SFK

Thanks @SFK.
Do these specs seem sensible to the dimensions of my room?

Attachments

• F911B8B9-37AB-4DF4-9348-8FD1E2E27E66.png
    F911B8B9-37AB-4DF4-9348-8FD1E2E27E66.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 229
Jupiter, Sorry I am wrong person to ask, as said, I just swap out same brand (if no other issues) to save fitting issues.
The numbers look okay.

Sorry, but if you had said that the old fan still left condensation, or didn’t clear the smell of curry downloads then I’d have made alternate suggestions.

As above, and I’ll try and ask more directly:
Did the old fan perform in a satisfactory fashion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back