Bathroom extractor

Sponsored Links
@Taylortwocities sorry, I’m not trying to be difficult but isn’t there some science to sizing an extractor? I had assumed it’s based on the room dimensions and I also thought the length of duct that it’s pushing the moisture through is also significant.

I may think the current unit is “satisfactory” but surely that’s a subjective term and based on my minimal experience; Infact no experience of other extractors

It failed yesterday. I assume it will start to smell and get mouldy if not replaced? I have no window in the en-suite.

There’s a few things to ventillation. As well as the room size and if the fan has sufficient throughput, there’s a science to efficient airflow.
For instance, it’s great to have a 100mm duct and powerful fan, but all of that will come to nothing if the door to the room is close fitting. If that’s the case the fan will be straining trying to create a vacuum in the room.
If you have a 100mm duct out, then you also need a 100mm diameter hole for free air to enter the room.

Sponsored Links
The one you've got is a modern "quiet" fan, with a free-air throughput of less than 80 cu.m/hr

This type is often fitted by builders because it's cheap, and, um, that's it.

I find that sort adequate for a WC or small bathroom with no shower, provided it is turned on every time the room is used and has a run-on timer. But inadequate if you like steamy showers. On the plus size it is so quiet, and cheap to run, that you can leave it on all day if you want.

Assuming your duct is 100mm dia, a more powerful one would be bigger and usually mounted above the ceiling. Do you have access above?

Yes, I have the loft above this. I have ample access to the loft

that's great.

You can get a better ducted, inline fan that can be more powerful and quieter. Mounted in the loft, on a plywood board spaced off the joists on foam rubber or carpet underlay you will hardly hear it.

Example:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160T.html this one has more than twice the power of your old fan, and a timer, and is quieter than your old fan. IIRC it has a ball-bearing motor so should be more durable.
You will find a fan size calculator and other useful information in the link.

use rigid ducting if you possibly can, tilted fractionally so that any condensation water runs outside the house. Flop loft insulation over the duct to keep it warm and minimise condensation.

That sounds great @JohnD.
A couple of follow up questions please:

1. Is this wired in a similar way to my current extractor?

2. Given that I have around 2 metres of ducting in the loft, does it make sense to place this further back?

3. What goes on bathroom ceiling and do I need to do some repair work when I remove the current extractor?

Hi June
I’ve installed a few of those and they are pretty good. To answer your qs

Wiring is the same. They are both timer fans.

The fan can go anywhere in the duct run. Find a good solid joist to fix it to. All fans make some noise and you need to avoid vibration and a position where it won’t be heard. Position in a 2 metre duct run will make no difference.

In the bathroom ceiling you need a 100mm round air extract grill. You could buy a whole kit https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADAV100T.html
Or just a separate grill to go with the fan in JohnD’s link.https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGRG4W.html

It’s the same dia as the existing duct hole. You’ll probably only need to fill the 4 Screw holes from the old fan.

Good luck.

Last edited:
That kit is half the price of the link that @JohnD posted. They have similar extraction rates. What am I missing guys?

I don't know that Airflow model, but I recently got a couple of smaller Airflows from TLC on special offer, I noticed they are "similar but not quite as good". The ones I bought don't have a ball bearing motor, the noise is a little more and the electrical current a little higher. I assumed they were just a similar but budget brand.

The flexible hose and the flappy vent I would consider to be cheap and inferior choices.

Soler & Palau do have a good reputation, but I can't quantify the difference.

If you like steamy showers, the more power the better, but you may notice a cold draught at other times.

A 2-speed fan, that can be revved up at shower time and run inconspicuously the rest of the time, might be better. Speed switching is surprisingly expensive (some fans can be hard-wired fast or slow which is useful, but not the same thing). I haven't had experience of it since the big old vent-axias so can't suggest one. A fan running at half-speed is also quieter, which is welcome in an en-suite unless you are trying to mask intestinal noises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back