Location of cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to locate the cistern somewhere other than behind the toilet? Or won't physics allow it?

In this case I want to put a concealed cistern to the side of the toilet and have a pipe run make 2 turns and then into the back of the toliet.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I don’t see why not, although you may have flush problems. They were installed like that many years ago but were 9L high level ones, and purspose made bends.

As above. Once the flush gets around the bends to the pan, it'll have lost a lot of its momentum and you'll probably find it wont clear the pan. The old high level designs used lead flush pipes, slow formed bends and were devastatingly effective.

Some of the old pans struggled to clear when the original cistern was replaced with a low level!

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

I guess I can rig it up and see how it performs, bathroom is in bits at the moment so plenty of scope for testing...

Could not see any mention of low level from OP? Have my concealed cistern the other side of 300mm blockwork in roof space and works fine.Make sure it has as much head as you have room for.

Could not see any mention of low level from OP? Have my concealed cistern the other side of 300mm blockwork in roof space and works fine.Make sure it has as much head as you have room for.
Did you have to fit a restrictor ?

Your physical water pressure is the same no matter how many bends you have as long as there are no restrictions. We have 2 concealed cisterns on a DAL and that works very well.

Bends are a restriction, that's the whole point. When you are relying on the force of the flush to clear the contents of the pan, it needs to be strong enough to do so.

I've got a bit of height and can probably have more as the wall it's going on slopes back a bit.

Anyway so far so good - primary test was a success, I've done it with no direct 90 degree turns.

Will be getting a new slimline cistern to replace the current one and will also recess it half a brick back if I can.

IMG-1130.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back