lock ideas to improve out front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. ,

we have an old 1920s front door which has two lever and mortice type locks, the upper one has a latch .

I'm looking to make something a bit easier to use as we are locking both locks when leaving the house. Partly because the letter box is near the upper latch lock so it's more secure. was even considering a smart lock as now the kids are letting themselves in and less keys to have around.

The door stile is about 90mm wide.

Any suggestions of what would be a good way to improve this.
many thanks.
PXL_20211123_145808244.jpg PXL_20211123_145754090.jpg PXL_20211124_124712098.jpg PXL_20211124_124721771.jpg

Sponsored Links
I recognise the top one. A very convenient little lock in its day. You are right about the letter box, it is easier than you think to use a simple tool to turn the knob from outside.

Can you measure the dimensions of the faceplate, and the backset (distance from edge of door to centre of keyhole) of the lower one. There may be a makers name and other details stamped into the forend, or on the bow of the key. The lower one looks newer so it might be adequate.

I don't believe there is a British Standard lock as a direct replacement of either, though you could fit a BS rim nightlatch above and a 3G220 below, which is a very good narrow case 5-lever deadlock.

Consider having the old letter slot filled in, and conceal the patch with a fingerplate inside and out.

thanks,
yes lower one I actually remember i changed a few years ago that was a straight forward replacement.

Top one is I think the main problem.

I've ordered a finger plate for the letter box but just trying to think where to relocate it. There is a side window , wondering if into that wall is worth putting a letter box.

I've added some more photos, with some measurements.

thanks for the help.

PXL_20211124_181416257.jpg PXL_20211124_180945094.jpg PXL_20211124_180926887.jpg PXL_20211124_180749074.jpg PXL_20211124_180832143.jpg

This is giving me flashbacks to my own recent lock sourcing rigmarole. I wont sleep tonight now. :mad:

Anyway as a general pointer look for either one or two dead latches - which will automatically lock and require a key to enter, as opposed to dead locks - which will need a key to lock.

Or something like this will be similar to that existing roller lock Mortice Lever Roller Bolt Fire Escape Deadlatch - G9062 - Colquhoun's (colquhouns.co.uk)

For a smart lock try Danalock · Danalock V3 - The Smart Home Enabler or package including TS007 three star cylinder from Ultion Smart – Ultion Lock (ultion-lock.co.uk) - these are quite unobtrusive

You can suite two or more locks to the same key

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the info. Will have a look into those.

For the time being would this work for the top lock, i can keep the bottom one as is. I was going for the 40mm type of these, would this work? But i`ll look into those links you provided.
ERA 183-31 DOUBLE LOCKING NIGHT LATCH BRASS 40MM
Nightlatch - Double Locking Nightlatch (eraeverywhere.com)

I would certainly go for the British Standard version, which is stronger and pretty sure to meet your insurer's requirements. There are various brands of the same size.

Examples (select BS nightlatches)

The 60mm is much more common than the narrow 40mm lock, and I think you have room for it.

If you are disusing the old mortice, I'd fill it in with a block of wood glued into place, a skilled woodworker can cut the patch and the mortice to a good fit to restore strength.

I have a mortice deadlocking latch, it is very convenient but they are rare and I don't recall one that meets the BS. Mine is a 3R35 which is a 5-detainer Chubb and my insurers accepted it.

Last edited:
P.s.

I would not have two locking latches on the same door, as you will need to turn two keys at the same time to open the door.

One latch and one deadlock are usual.

Though people tend to get into the habit of only using the latch.

Yes thanks the bottom one is a deadlock, i`ll keep that the same. I was trying to not have to create more holes on the front of the door, so though the 40mm would allow to use the same hole for the key plate. I assume thats possible , or are my chances of finding something to match remote?

IMG_20190118_103914.jpg
Heres with the door hardware removed, think i can just glue in a piece of timber into where the old lock was and then add a night latch with a bit of chiselling out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back