Door lock style width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is an 85mm door lock style wide enough for modern 5-lever mortice locks or lockable handle rim latches?

Thanks
Ian

2016-03-27 23.16.04.jpg

Sponsored Links
I also forgot to ask ... there is an 8mm gap between door style and frame, so the existing mortice deadbolt only just catches the strikeplate (sometimes it doesnt though!).

Whats the best way to fix this? Pad out the hinges? Pad out the strike plate? New door?

I might just get a new door anyway. The current door is glass panels, so not the most secure. It opens into a common stair shared with one other neighbour. The maindoor to the building only has a yale type lock on it.

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to put a woodstrip in the frame, then re-fit the strike plate. Use good big screws so they are firm in the frame itself.

The current BS3621 has a longer bolt throw, but you should always minimise the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back