Lock on outside of internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than replacing the door handle looking for something fitted easily to lock off an internal room. Doesn't need to be heavy duty just to keep teenager away!

I guess I could use a hasp and padlock but it wouldnt be the nicest looking and would probably mean hacking into the door frame.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
multipurpose door bolt is easy to fit, if you have a drill. they are often used on French windows.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...t.TRS0&_nkw=multi+purpose+door++bolt&_sacat=0

If you find an ERA or other brand at low price it may be better than unbranded

I used to have some where the fixing screw was hidden by the door bolt when locked, preventing access. I thought they were Era but the pictures of Sterling look like they work that way.

very cheap ones may all be keyed alike.

use two, one a third from the top, one a third from the bottom of the door.

What is the door made of? If hollow, you will need a bolt-through and large washers.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back