Locking Wheel Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another problem with locking nuts, apart from losing the key; is that they are made of steel, and as they are rarely removed, get stuck to the alloy wheel, and are impossible to remove.

Also a little gem of information; If you get a flat tyre, the spare is rarely an alloy replacement, but a steel wheel or a space saver. What is rarely known is that it is illegal to fit that onto a driven axle, as they usually have a different ratio. So if you have a 4x4, a spare is useless. However, it's also illegal NOT to carry a spare, even though it may prove useless in an emergency. And you should not drive over 50mph on a spacesaver, but most are unaware of the above, so flout that law also.

It's lose/lose, however how many are caught is another thing.

Not sure who told you that but its incorrect. There is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel.

Sponsored Links
Another problem with locking nuts, apart from losing the key; is that they are made of steel, and as they are rarely removed, get stuck to the alloy wheel, and are impossible to remove.

Also a little gem of information; If you get a flat tyre, the spare is rarely an alloy replacement, but a steel wheel or a space saver. What is rarely known is that it is illegal to fit that onto a driven axle, as they usually have a different ratio. So if you have a 4x4, a spare is useless. However, it's also illegal NOT to carry a spare, even though it may prove useless in an emergency. And you should not drive over 50mph on a spacesaver, but most are unaware of the above, so flout that law also.

Not sure who told you that but its incorrect. There is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel.

Err, yes there is, otherwise why would all the manufacturers provide them? I could quote the law regarding this, but as you refute the information, I leave it to you, to prove me incorrect.

So the entire car industry, provide a spare wheel, for fun? at major expense to them? And you say they don't need to...So why do they?

Facts/Figures would help? Apart from the legal points I made above?

Don't carry a spare wheel, then get fined. I don't care.

Err, yes there is, otherwise why would all the manufacturers provide them? I could quote the law regarding this, but as you refute the information, I leave it to you, to prove me incorrect.

So the entire car industry, provide a spare wheel, for fun? at major expense to them? And you say they don't need to...So why do they?

Err....not there isnt. Not all manufacturers supply a spare wheel. Mazda, Audi and a few others do not supply a spare as standard. You get a repair kit in the form of an aerosol.

If it was a legal requirement, then an MOT test would consist of checking it, thats why many people take out the spare for their MOT test.

No spare wheel.....NO fine

Err....not there isnt. Not all manufacturers supply a spare wheel. Mazda, Audi and a few others do not supply a spare as standard. You get a repair kit in the form of an aerosol.

If it was a legal requirement, then an MOT test would consist of checking it, thats why many people take out the spare for their MOT test.

No spare wheel.....NO fine

Check out the AA/RAC website...I give up.

Sponsored Links
Check out the AA/RAC website...I give up

If you insist....from the AA website

Spare tyre

There is no legal obligation to carry a spare tyre and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. A spare tyre is not a testable item in the MOT test, though the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy

I should know this from my previous career

Spare tyre

There is no legal obligation to carry a spare tyre and it does not have to comply with the legal requirements while it is stowed away. However, when fitted to the vehicle (for example, following a puncture) it must then comply with the law. A spare tyre is not a testable item in the MOT test, though the examiner may draw your attention to an unserviceable item as a matter of courtesy

Selective posting is always useful. Now why don't you state the full regs.?

It's like the law that entering a motorway, without enough fuel to reach the next exit...but lies damn lies.

So you state that it is LEGAL to put a 195,60,15 tyre against a 155 50,14 tyre on a driven axle...? Or did you ignore the above?

Spare tyre

It's like the law that entering a motorway, without enough fuel to reach the next exit...but lies damn lies.

So you state that it is LEGAL to put a 195,60,15 tyre against a 155 50,14 tyre on a driven axle...? Or did you ignore the above?

You cant twist your post with me. You said its illegal to not carry a spare....you where wrong.

It is LEGAL to put a space saving wheel on a car and drive it to get home, to a tyre shop or for an emergency. It is illegal to drive around with it on constantly if does not comply with the manufacturers tread and pressure limits.

But to get back to the original point....it is NOT illegal to have no spare wheel.

Spare tyre

You cant twist your post with me. You said its illegal to not carry a spare....you where wrong.

It is LEGAL to put a space saving wheel on a car and drive it to get home, to a tyre shop or for an emergency. It is illegal to drive around with it on constantly if does not comply with the manufacturers tread and pressure limits.

But to get back to the original point....it is NOT illegal to have no spare wheel.

Check the rules properly...I think you will eventually find that you are incorrect. If you break down on a motorway, and have no immediate exit, due to a puncture, and no spare wheel...then that is illegal.

This is getting boring now.

Check the rules properly...I think you will eventually find that you are incorrect. If you break down on a motorway, and have no immediate exit, due to a puncture, and no spare wheel...then that is illegal.

It is not illegal at all.....absolute rubbish!!

If you got a puncture on a motorway....only an idiot would try and change it! You would contact the motorway control room and let them know the situation. They would send someone to assist you, the police would also assist but there would be no fine, or penalty points if they did just because you had no spare.

You are right though, it is getting boring now proving you wrong again!

It is not illegal at all.....absolute rubbish!!

If you got a puncture on a motorway....only an idiot would try and change it! You would contact the motorway control room and let them know the situation. They would send someone to assist you, the police would also assist but there would be no fine, or penalty points if they did just because you had no spare.

You are right though, it is getting boring now proving you wrong again!

Try doing it. Then prove me incorrect.

different tyre sizes/wheels on the same axle is only legal with type approval, manufacturers have this on a spacesaver as long as it's not a permanent fix.

some newer cars know there is a spacesaver on and don't let the car drive above 50mph or whatever the approved rating for the wheel is.

I'll bite......what's that link supposed to prove?

That everything you wrote is incorrect, and prove that it is incorrect. Idiot. As you don't seem to understand that, let me make it clear. What you write is incorrect, and you have nothing to prove the lies you post, and I've just proven that. So in effect, why post lies? You bite? You make things up, with your imaginary friend, your brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back