Lockshield Drain Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of rads that I would like to change and see that the lockshields have what I think is a drain off. I think they may be the Myson Matchmate right angle. I would guess that the drain off is for just the rad rather than the full system (I think there is a drain cock in the hall for this).

If the drain off is for the rad do I just close off the lockshield and TRV and then open the drain off?

Sponsored Links
That's the theory. You'll need a bucket though, the key for the drain is usually in the drain outlet. Once you've cracked it, open the bleed valve (to let air in/water out)

maybe the Myson is better quality, but some of those drainoffs are very weak and may break when you try to turn them. Maybe try jigging it back and forth to break the bond? The seal may be a rubber ring so it's the thread or bush that seizes. If you ever get it apart wipe the mating parts with silicone grease.

Thanks for information. If they could be troublesome I think I will just crack the locknut on the valve and drain the rad the way I know best! They are only small so will not be a long job to drain

Sponsored Links
Why not just try and open the drain cock, Instead of ifs, buts and maybes :rolleyes:

When I had one break it was very annoying and added extra time and work. I now keep a couple of spares handy in case of mishap, and check for free movement, and lightly lube, before fitting.

It would be very much more annoying if the old one didn't fit as a swap and you had to get the old olive and nut off.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back