Loft beam removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys does anyone know if I can remove this beam it's literally being held in by a few rusty screws I'm going to do a loft conversion so I'll be adding extra strength by purlings above head and vertical under velux windows

Attachments

• 20181210_154451.jpg
    20181210_154451.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 2,516
  • 20181210_154534.jpg
    20181210_154534.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 882
  • 20181210_154538.jpg
    20181210_154538.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 900
  • 20181210_154601.jpg
    20181210_154601.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 783
  • 20181210_154611.jpg
    20181210_154611.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 729
  • 20181210_154626.jpg
    20181210_154626.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 780
Sponsored Links
It looks like it is a tie beam. A tie beam stops the rafters moving apart and slipping over the edges of the wall .

The main rafter also supports the ends of two purlins, you will need a structural engineer to calculate what can replace the tie.

Blup

Last edited:
Agree. You need an engineer to advise the options.
If you remove it, the roof could spread outwards under its own weight and you’ll end up with a flat roof. That might limit the headroom for your loft conversion!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks more like a horizontral strut to me. It does not look original so I wonder if a previous owner was worried about that truss arrangement supporting the purlins so thought they would add the strut to take some of the bend out of the truss member. Almost like a queen post truss but without the vertical struts either side.

Whether you could remove it is another matter. That is quite an unusual arrangement and although it probably works in practice I imagine it would be difficult to prove it on paper with the roof loads from the purlins, so a structural engineer would probably recommend you add more supports not remove any.

I Dough't anything much will happen immediately but it will sag over time especially if the slates have been replaced for concrete roof tiles!

Can't see how that horizontal timber is a strut as some suggest, it is a tie to stop the main rafters spreading out as others suggest. If that is removed it would need a ridge beam to prevent the roof dropping , but as with all these sort of things building regulations approval is required for structural alterations which requires a structural engineer's input and they will advise on the structural work required to form a loft conversion.
In the meantime don't remove any roof timbers.
Regards

Its not there to prevent spread. The ceiling joists are doing that and that one timber is not there to prevent a whole roof from spreading. Its probably there to help prevent twist or wind deflection (diaphragming) or summat.

Last edited:
Yeah, just rip it out - what's the worst that could happen? It was probably just there to give a bit of extra hanging space. Alternatively, where the safety and stability of your house is concerned, it might be an idea to consult a structural engineer instead of some random bloke on the internet.

If it is to prevent spread, then it may be possible to replace the function of that timber with another timber, or even steel rod, at floor level, which can then be built into the floor, possibly as a small step over.
If it is to prevent sag in the roof, it may be possible to replace the function with vertical supports off nearby walls on the lower floor.
If it is to prevent twisting or deflection in high winds, it may be possible to replace the function with diagonal stabilising timbers under the rafters.

But as said by many, only expert on-site survey can provide accurate and reliable advice.

With respect to others opinions on this 'beam ', I see this as a raised tie truss with the principal rafters supporting the purlins which support the common rafters. The common rafters may be tied across by the ceiling joists but the large horizontal timber is the tie beam which is in tension preventing the principal rafters from spreading .

Its a collar, not quite a truss.

It does not look to be in the bottom half of the rafter so won't be in tension or restraining the rafters (the ceiling joists will do that). If it's in the middle it's neutral, and if it's further up it's in compression preventing deflection or stabilising the ridge.

Its a collar, not quite a truss.

It does not look to be in the bottom half of the rafter so won't be in tension or restraining the rafters (the ceiling joists will do that). If it's in the middle it's neutral, and if it's further up it's in compression preventing deflection or stabilising the ridge.
You try convincing them lot ^^^^.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back