Loft board removal - filling screw holes - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am removing loft boards used for light storage. They were screwed directly onto the original ceiling joists. There will obviously be screw holes left in the joists. How should I fill these holes? Are the joists now damaged? The screws are standard size and in the center of the width of the joist on the horizontal plane. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Removing the screws will leave voids in the timber, so you will probably have increased the bending stress by about 0.0000109%. Having said that, no timber would actually have been removed from the joist when the screws were put in, so you have probably increased the density of the timber immediately around the holes. This will increase the allowable bending stress by approximately 0.0000109%, So you will have no problem with bending stress.

Deflection of the joist will also be an issue. You will have reduced the moment of inertia of the joists, which will lead to an increase in deflection of approximmately 0.0006157mm. If you could put up with that increase in deflection, looking up at the ceiling while lying in bed, then that's also not a problem.

If you contravene building regulations, you are subject to a maximum fine of £5000 and/or 6 months imprisonment. I would come clean and hand yourself into Building Control and they might be lenient with you.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back