loft boarding / flooring requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to fit a central heating boiler in the loft. Apparently to do this the loft must be floored and have lighting and a permanently fixed access (loft ladder).

The joists are 95x45mm and at 600mm centres. Can I just cover the joists with the likes of B&Q loftboarding (~18mm chipboard planks?) or do I have to do something more complicated?

Would this be structurally OK and are there any building regs to be complied with?

I would just be using this for access to the boiler (ie. hardly ever!) and general houshold storage.

If anybody could answer these questions or point me in the direction of relevant info I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks in advance.
-Simon.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I was told you will need a permenently fitted loft ladder, lighting and solid flooring from the hatch to the boiler so that it can easily be repaired.

Now that is just what I was told, so it may be nonsense as I keep getting conflicting advice no matter what or who I ask :eek: :D

simon

A friend of mine just a had a boiler fitted in the loft, fixed to the wall. The floor remains as bare joists and there is just a single bulb up there. Not even a proper loft ladded fitted.

Deluks said:
A friend of mine just a had a boiler fitted in the loft, fixed to the wall. The floor remains as bare joists and there is just a single bulb up there. Not even a proper loft ladded fitted.

I will inform the local boiler engineers, so when one of them wants to retire early on disability compensation from your friend's insurance, he can come round and fall through the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
BUILDING REGS STIPULATE what is required.they also ask for a bannister
around the lofthatch.if you do not conform and need to call out a manuf engineer under warranty ,he may refuse to work on it and u will not have a leg to stand on.
the rule r there for a reason .ps the ladder needs to be fixed and have a hand rail attached to one side.

i personnally would not have a boiler in a loft bcos the first indication of a leak is when water comes throgh the ceiling.
i had a customer who paid me every time the pressure needed topping up!bcos she didnt wont to go up into the loft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back