requirements for loft boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am coming to terms with having to replace the 20 year old boiler in my new house, after recieving my first gas bill. Heating a full tank of water every day aint doing my gas consumption any good - I'm going for a high efficiency approach in this house, so I want a combi boiler - I live alone. All my lights are CFLs.

Its a Baxi Solo 40/4 RS (i think) rated at 11kw, in the front bedroom. Way too small for my 2 bed semi with solid walls. Anyway, the long and short is that the best (cheapest) place for the new boiler is in the loft on the neighbours party wall, with the flue going up through the roof. All the pipework except gas and a drain is in the loft - I have the CH F&R, the mains cold feed, hot supply, all present.

The loft is spacious and you can stand up at the apex, which runs the full width, the house having a gable end.

The question I have is regarding access to the boiler in the loft. Would it be nessecary to provide access by way of partially boarding the loft, and installing a loft ladder? Is there a minimum size of loft opening?

What about insulation? Would the boiler need a gap leaving in the insulation below it? Or is it self-protecting?

What diameter pipe is required for the drain? Would 32mm be ok? And could it go straight down 9ft, across under the bedroom floor, then out into the soil stack?

If anyone has the answers, please let me know.

PS any installers in Doncaster wanting some work, friend and PM me ;) I'm getting a few quotes.

Sponsored Links
Loft must be baorded from hatch to boiler. A permanent light must be fitted. A proper loft ladder fitted and to the letter of the regs, a guard around the loft hatch, but I've yet to see one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back