loft condensation .. grrrr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve been battling against condensation in my attic since last winter! From reading posts on forum websites, I am not the only person with this headache!

I advised my neighbours and they also were shocked to have the same problem. Now, I know we are experiencing freezing temperatures which increases the problem. I checked my attic last night and it was dripping from the felt like rain!

The insulation will probably have to be replaced (insulation is now damp) when the weather improves.

I installed two vent tiles in the north side of the roof which did not solve the problem?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Check whether you have a vapour-barrier to prevent warm, moist air from the house rising into the attic and condensing.

If you don't, then fit one. I find a thin , plastic sheet as used to protect household effects when decorating is best. cheapest.

it should be fitted on the "warm" ( i.e. house ) side of the insulation.

If you eliminate this, it will solve your condensation problem.

The insulation will dry out if you put it outside when it gets warmer - or at least dry (ish) and windy :) Not sure if it will inside in situ.

Check whether you have a vapour-barrier to prevent warm, moist air from the house rising into the attic and condensing.

Thats interesting! I dont think i have a vapour barrier! Is this an easy job? How is the material attched to the ceiling! Any suggestion/links to what material to use?

Cheers..

Also, would you advise using a dehumidifier to dry the attic & insulation!

thanks again

It's not technically difficult but usually a pain in the backside to lift all existing insulation and then lay poly sheet and tape any joints with wide PVC/similar tape.

Poly sheet.

De-humidifier ? I really don't know. Would suggest taking whatever remedial action you decide on, carefully check/document existing situation and then review in 2-4 weeks to see what change .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back